MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 04-05-2005, 12:30 PM
Master

A word about what NOT to do

I was working along today on a titanium piece. Using my rotary tool to remove some background and the tiny carbide bur broke. Of course my instinctive response is to quickly pick the tool up off the workpiece.

For some stupid reason my left hand thought it needed to jump up too. To make a long story short, the two hands met each other over my vise running that broken bur right up under the nail on my pointer finger. My foot was still on the pedal.
OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It hurt for several minutes now it is just a dull throb.

Do we get hazard pay?

Just for the record. Don't do that.

Ray

ray@rcoverengraving.com
Old 04-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Shucks, you haven't done anything really dumb until the ER doctor says, "I've never seen THAT before."

Old 04-05-2005, 01:44 PM
Enthusiast

and when the Er doctor says "where does it hurt" Just point to the mangled and bloody area and say "do ya see that painful looking spot? thats where it hurts"

Oh yeah, do you remember the last time you had a tetnus shot? If you cant' remember then that will be today

Last edited by forthaney; 04-05-2005 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:41 PM
Steel Addict

Sorry Ray but I'm still giggling. It reminds me of one time when I needed to break a new graver in half because it was too long. I scored it and clamped it in a vise and tapped it with a hammer. Worked like a charm. The top half took off like it was shot out of a cannon and dumb me had my left hand steadying the vise with a thumb sticking up. You know where the graver missile ended up. A spontaneous new metallic apendage attached to my thumb. Yes I did get a tetanus shot.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Master

I can rememer my last tetanis shot.

It was the time I knocked a push graver off the bench and impaled myself in the knee with it.

Well I guess that my subconscious could not bear the idea of letting that graver hit the ground after I had invested all that time sharpening it. I mean after all it takes a whole minute and a half.

That being the case my knee (totaly out of reflex.... believe me I did not think about it) raced across the space under the bench to catch it.

In my knees exuberance to save that graver point from certain blunting on the floor it jambed the graver between itself and the underside of my bench. Of course, the sharp end was not the one against the bench. The graver was driven about 1/2" into my knee.

I rolled on the floor for a while with that one.

The tetanis shot before that was the time I dropped a knife and my foot swept across the floor to catch the knife. I looked down to see the butt end of the knife looking up at me and blood gushing out of the tongue of my shoe. Thank goodness for good reflexes huh!

That one did not hurt near as much as the knee did but it bled more, not to mention ruining a comfortable pair of shoes.

And people think our job is easy.

Ray

ray@rcoverengraving.com
Old 04-05-2005, 10:05 PM
Guru

...Youz guyz tink ya had a tuff time....

Ahh...Ummm...sekind thawt...[skweemish publik]...I don't tink I'll git int'a dat story jist yet...

Talk lader,

"One-eyed Tim"

Old 04-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Skilled

Send a message via MSN to chrisinbeav Send a message via Yahoo to chrisinbeav
This one isn't knife related but funny as all get out...

Back when I was a body technician, I was opening the packaging for a new Honda bumper cover. These come wrapped in multiple layers of plastic the outside one being wrapped with clear tape. Well I didn't have a knife handy(how ironic) so I thought I could just break the tape by pulling on it. Okay here's the "duh" part. So I'm pulling on the tape, bumper on the floor so I am pulling straight up towards ... well my face. The tape broke and I punched my self right in the nose. I even knocked myself on the ground, saw stars, gave myself a bloody nose, and as it turned out, I actually broke my nose. It was just that little piece of bone at the end.

To put it a different way, if I was to ever get in a fight with myself, I'd kick my own ass...

Chris Nilluka
Old 04-06-2005, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

You know you're a "Tool Time" kinda guy when you remember all your tetanus shots according to the injury at the time! The last time I got a tetanus shot, I asked the ER doc how many people he'd ever treated with tetanus. He stuttered a bit and answered, "None." Did he know anybody that had ever treated anybody with tetanus? "No." So since then I've asked every doctor I come across the same questions. Thus far, no one has ever had, seen, treated, or knew someone who treated tetanus.

It's probably just saline and tobasco (to get that special burn!) that they are injecting so they can make an extra buck off us morons.

Another conspiracy! And you heard it here first!!

Old 04-06-2005, 04:17 AM
Master

To my it happened me something different.

It was with a motor polishing some knives: The sisal (cloth of polishing) like it is formed by many layers or pieces of cotton cloth. The last external layer, had a small hole that I didn't give him importance. But I had the fatality that when bringing near one of the knives, the ferrule was introduced " (it leaves final with a certain form) in the hole and it was hooked in the sisal :
To imagine a motor to 2500 revolutions and hooked the knife. It rotated in a brutal way and it plundered me the thumb of the left hand; I was lucky that didn't hit the finger fully (it would have cut it). But it hit me enough and it cut me 3 tendons, affecting something to the bone.
I was 2 months to be able to begin to articulate it and to be able to him to move.

I sometimes think that it would have happened, if it had left rushed to my face or another part of my body ;

Montejano
-----------------------------------

A mi me ocurri? algo distinto .

Estaba con un motor puliendo unas navajas : El sisal ( trapo de pulir ) como est? formado por muchas capas o trozos de tela de algod?n . La ?ltima capa exterior, ten?a un peque?o agujero que no le d? importancia . Pero tuve la fatalidad , que al acercar una de las navajas , se introdujo " la virola " ( parte final con una determinada forma ) en el agujero y se enganch? en el sisal :
Imaginaros un motor a 2500 revoluciones y enganchada la navaja. Gir? de manera brutal y me pill? el dedo pulgar de la mano izquierda ; tuve suerte que no golpe? plenamente el dedo ( lo habr?a cortado ) . Pero me golpe? bastante y me cort? 3 tendones , afectando algo al hueso .
Estuve 2 meses para poder empezar a articularlo y poderlo mover .

A veces pienso que habr?a pasado , si hubiera salido lanzado a mi cara u otra parte de mi cuerpo ;

Montejano

Tags
knife, knives