MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 07-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to LaBella Send a message via MSN to LaBella Send a message via Yahoo to LaBella
Cool The Jerzee Devil Bowie by J.Neilson!

*his words and pics*

the original thread

Hey Ron,
I told you I'd send a few pix so here we go. This bowie has a cutting edge of 8 1/2" and a slender full-tang coffin handle with a tapered tang and a hand-rubbed finish. I'm planning on using the stabilized black Buffalo Horn scales shown on the vice with red liners. You can see the holes for the three stainless steel handle bolts that will hold it all together after I shape the guard (which I just soldered this afternoon). The guard will be fully stippled and etched/cold blued. This will of course come with the JD logo blade sheath.
Thanks again,
J.

I'll be shaping and setting the handle scales today.
Thanks again.
J.

I rough shaped & set the bowie handle. When I go back out after dinner I'll take a photo of it as this stage. I also changed my plan a bit on the red liner. I thought the red liner should be a good accent and not blend in too much since it's the only red in the knife itself. So....I put an additional black liner between the red and the handle tang. You can see the red better when it got black on either side.
J.

Hey Ron,
Here are some more pix. I'd be happy to do a tutorial forge-2-finish, though it may take me a bit to get it together between knives/orders and the flood crap. If I forget, please remind me. I won't think your being a pest because I do forget things sometimes. No old yet, just dopey sometimes. ; ) Please feel free to post the pix that I'm sending you on the forum though, if you'd like. It's not a whole knife (more of a handle step-by-step) but, I'm sure some folks may like it. This knife is a bit blocky-er in the handle than I normally do but, I saw this style and had been wanting to try it. It's modeled after an English Bowie design (possibly Wilkinson?) Of course, it's my interpretation of such. I'll have to try and find which it was, can't remember (what'd I tell you). Of course, it's my interpretation of such. It's a very comfortable knife with a good grip. You know me, always gotta try something different. The balance point is right on the plunge grind. In the photo that's my 6" metal ruler clamped in a vice that the knife is balancing on.
Thanks,
J.

:faint: :

I wanted to thank Ron for putting this thread up and for putting the idea in my head for this piece. I, unfortunately, didn't start taking the pix until the blade was done. Sometime in the future, if you guys would like, I'll do a start to finish pictorial/tutorial.

I'm titling this piece the "Leeds" Bowie (can ya guess). I'm hoping it screams JD! The bowie style itself is loosely based on an English design I saw and liked awhile back and of course for a JD bowie a coffin handle is a must.

One thing I love about Bowies is that they provide such a great canvas to work with. I think the only thing that can rival a bowie for this trait is a dagger........hey, that might be next.

Here are quick shop pix of the finished knife including a close-up inset of the guard finish and the new logo. Once Tess finishes up the sheath I'll add the completed photo box pix. I you guys have any questions about the pix, please feel free.

awesome so far!

Last edited by LaBella; 07-02-2006 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:05 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
The last two pics do not show for me.

Old 07-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to LaBella Send a message via MSN to LaBella Send a message via Yahoo to LaBella
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdownnow
The last two pics do not show for me.

I apologize!

Old 07-07-2006, 05:38 PM
Skilled

Well, here she is. All finished up and ready to cut down whatever's in her path.
Let me know what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BOWIE LEEDS COFFIN HANDLE @ 5.JPG (24.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg BOWIE LEEDS COFFIN HANDLE OPP @ 5.JPG (22.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg BOWIE LEEDS COFFIN HANDLE TOP @ 5.JPG (27.5 KB, 21 views)

Member of the ABS, EPKCA, NJKCA

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives