MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:10 AM
Skilled

beginning of a bear

well ive finally starter working on my first Big Bear.
if anyone else is wanting to try making one of these feel free to post pics and share how much fun it is.
let me start by saying that the VFD is a god send!!! being able to dial the speed down so I don't take off to much to fast is great.
tang is tapered, and blade is hollow ground with 3" contact wheel. following the S.R. Johnson sub hilt video. I love those knives, but will never be able to afford one of his... so I guess ill just have to make my own.
tomorrow Ill clean up the plunge cuts, and possibly fit the guard.
eventually ill need to put a rear bolster on to make up for not having large enough ivory to cover the whole handle. am waiting to get the guard and subhilt fit in place to figure how much rear bolster ill need.
will be posting more progress pics later. (sorry pics are not so great) will try to get a few before sending it out.
I'm trying to get this ready to send out with a bunch of other blades for HT. much cheaper if I can send a bunch rather than just 1 or 2.

starting with S30V .187"x 1.5"
Blade: 7" guard to tip
Handle: tapered tang, mammoth ivory w/ stainless corby rivets
Fixtures: 416 stainless
OAL: 12 3/4"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2382.jpg (110.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2383.jpg (148.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2385.jpg (62.1 KB, 30 views)
Old 08-18-2016, 07:57 AM
Guru

Looks awexome so far! make sure you keep posting pics , I have wanted to do one of these myself but haven't YET not having enough handle material I think actually worked out for you it will look GREAT with a rear bolster added
Old 08-18-2016, 12:58 PM
Skilled

Anxious to see that one finished. Is it a "subhilt" as that references that second finger doohicky behind the guard? I know it's a "fighter" but trying to learn all the terminology takes time.

Take "jimping" for example... maybe another time.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 08-18-2016, 01:33 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Yes, the Big Bear is Bob Loveless' sub-hilt fighter design ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-19-2016, 05:04 AM
Guru

Talking

I love the start, even though I've never been a fan of sub-hilts. You can pull it off tho Damon. I look at your work on Flicker and wonder why you still bother with knives. Well passion is passion. I have a neighbor who uses water colors and can make a portrait that looks like a photograph, that's how good she is. She just did a family's dog portrait for half of what it's worth cuz she doesn't have a name, Damon has a name in engraving.
Here is a link to Damon's stuff on Flicker. Include some of his "peppers".

https://www.flickr.com/photos/oiseau...th/8372335316/

Last edited by jimmontg; 08-19-2016 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 08-19-2016, 01:17 PM
Guru

damon I just check out the link jim put up awesome work just as with your blades the jewelry has very very good attention to detail...in my opinion jewelry is like knives as far as the hand made stuff looks soooooo much better than the mass produced and you have nailed the jewelry as well jim said he doesn't know why you still do knives all your work is great and I hope you never stop making knives gives me something to strive for especially with the quality of detail I sometimes lack in that when I am just plain lazy or when I get fustrated
Old 08-19-2016, 02:00 PM
Skilled

thanks guys. I cant fully support myself from just knives, or just jewelry, or just engraving..... I need the little bit I get from all 3. (plus now I have the pepper growing thing on the side. )
well.... I made first knives when I was 9...... 30 years later, I don't think I'm going to give up on it now. still too much fun stuff to learn. I'm only just getting to the point where I can make some of the knives I drool over, and wish I could ever afford to buy.

I was a professional jeweler for a while, and early on in that, I had 3 out of 4 jobs sent back for VERY MINOR touchups you needed a loupe to see.... well eventually I started doing things more right in the first place, and only had one every rare once in a while come back. (though then it was usually for "doing what they asked for, not what they really needed) working as a bench jeweler like that is the kind of crucible that teaches you a LOT of tricks of how to get that perfect finish, and not spend all day on it.
knife parts however..... much larger areas, and no getting around the fact that hand finishing is a bitch on some pieces.

that jewelers fit-n-finish, and metal working techniques does translate over to knives quite nicely. also.... jewelry is working within 0.1mm- 0.01mm tolerances..... knife work is a lot more forgiving.

Tags
beginning, blade, blades, bolster, design, fighter, guard, handle, handle material, ivory, knife, knives, make, making, mammoth, mammoth ivory, material, post, s30v, stainless, subhilt, tapered tang, vfd, video