MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 12-19-2000, 11:56 AM
JerryO13

Jens Anso - Damasheep & Damaclaw

Hi Everybodies! (Hi Dr. Nick! - Simpsons)

I wanted to start off the custom knife collecting forum on the right foot with a review of my most recent acquisitions. This has been posted in other places, but I would have posted it here first, but I got them the day they started the site re-organizing! Here's the review:

I consider Jens to be one of those knifemakers that's an up & comer, by that I mean a guy who gives you a lot of bang for the buck, and he's also in what I consider to be the "going to be too busy real soon category". He's still relatively unknown, but as more and more people get it, he's going to be swamped with orders and delivery times will start getting longer. I can see it happening, from the quality of knives he delivers and the way he works with you through the e-mail. He was a pleasure to work with. It was rare that I didn't get a response from him within 24 hrs. most times it was a lot sooner, in some cases we just banged out e-mails every 5-10 minutes. This may not seem like a big deal, but trust me it is. Jens is in Denmark and so for that kind of response he's doing some crazy hours. For those of you who have concerns with overseas orders, all I can say is it wasn't a problem. I received my knives 6 days after he sent them.
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Well how about I just post some pic's and you can look for yourselves.

Damasheep

Damaclaw

So you know both of these images are scanned so please forgive them. It's much nicer in real life. I also wish you could see the knives on edge. The filework is great and the way the lines of the Damascus pattern on the spines is amazing.

Just so you know the Sheep is $175 without the filework or the 14k gold slug and the Claw is $140 without filework. Both of these include 1 kydex sheath each (very well made) for that price and I ordered the stingray sheath for the claw as I wanted it for a wallet knife. Jens actually sent me two sheaths as this was his first shot at a wallet sheath and he was experimenting. I found that it's a bit big for the wallet, but it will go very nicely with my check book! I'm still futzing with how I will carry these wonderful blades. I was planning on using the Damasheep for whitewater expeditions, but now I'm worried that it's too nice to do that to it. If I break down you see it tied to my vest eventually.

All edges (except sharpened ones) are nicely rounded and fit very comfortably in the hand. the first hole on the claw and the only hole on the sheep instantly draw your fingers for a nice grip. then you just naturally cap the spine of the knife with your forefinger. Both came razor sharp with a high hollow grind. I've used the Claw already for some envelope work and it's exceptional. I think it will probably make a great neck/bird & trout/caping knife for those of you who are hunters/fishermen. Stainless Damascus too!

I can say very easily that I recommend Jens to anyone who likes the look of his knives. And I like the fact that they aren't cookie cutter knives, they have a flavor all there own. When you see one of Jens knives you know it's one of his even before you see his stamp on the blade.

You will not be disappointed! I wasn't.

Old 12-19-2000, 04:08 PM
ansoknives

Excellent start on this one!

The trouble you meet making knives is all worth it when the people who recieves them like them so much!

Jens Ans?
ansoknives.com
Old 12-19-2000, 07:19 PM
primos

Jerry,
Jens is really talented. I've been admiring his work for for a while now. He is developing a style that is uniquely his own. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Jens,
I sure am glad you came over to the forums. I do hope you'll be a regular.

Jens and I share at least one thing in common. This year was the first time our work was published. In Knives Digest #1, Jens got color pics -- mine were just black and white. But that's okay. I was tickled pink to have Ken Warner and Bruce Voyles like some of my stuff enough to publish it. I know Jens was plenty proud too.

Old 12-19-2000, 10:43 PM
CKDadmin

Jens Anso is the next big name ... watch and see!!!
:

Alex
Old 12-19-2000, 10:46 PM
CKDadmin

Jerry O's investing ... those are investments!

Right JO?

: Alex
Old 12-20-2000, 11:15 AM
JerryO13

Terry, I think Jens is a serious contender :cool: .

Alex, Yes & No, I do consider knives a potential long term investment. It's definitley something I think about when I buy knives. But it's not the end all and be all. First thing is you've got to like it (the knife and the hobby), otherwise what's the point. So if a maker has something I like or perhaps I like his style and will get something custom made by him, but then I look for makers who produce quality work and either I feel are sort of unknown and therefore a good buy for the money or I look at an established name maker cause it's easier to re-sell and easier for the peice to go up in value. But all of this is covered by my first statement You've got to like it!

I also look for different types of knives, I like variety so I don't collect only bowies or only slip joints I look for the unique.

Old 12-20-2000, 12:50 PM
CKDadmin

Well said ...

I'm with you on the Anso's too!

I am getting me a "CityEdge" in 2001 ... I've just got to figure out how to beat Jens out of it, first!

:

Alex

Jens? What's production time look like? E-mail me!
Old 01-09-2001, 06:48 PM
JerryO13

Hey, Jens, get in touch with Alex, maybe you guys can wheel and deal ..........
Old 01-13-2001, 02:45 PM
CKDadmin

Oh yeah ... Jens has been working on a design for me the last couple of weeks. Look's like I'm in ...

I'll post it as soon as I get it! Might be a while though. I think Jens is backed up a little.

Alex
Old 01-13-2001, 03:08 PM
JerryO13

Yes, I figured. One of my friends here in NY, well, he's moved to Jersey, actually. Ordered something from Jens after he saw this review as well. He went for a big Damasheep.

I see you've reorganized the forum as well.

Tags
blade, knife, knives