MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:12 AM
Skilled

Send a message via MSN to chrisinbeav Send a message via Yahoo to chrisinbeav
Question Knife case input please...

In my last thread Coop had mentioned that I should run with this knife display case idea. That's actually not a bad idea... So I searched the web to see what was out there. Not much and very boring in appearance. So I would like your guys oppinions and input on what you would like in a knife case.

Wall hanging, Free standing counter top, Floor Standing

Glass lid, Solid lid

One knife, A few knives, A whole bunch of knives

Plus anything else that you can think of.

Chris Nilluka
Old 10-05-2006, 09:27 AM
Skilled

Wall and counter

I like using wall and countertop. I have a type of a case on the wall. Really just cabinet grade plywood with dowels for the knives to rest on. I would have liked to put on sides and glass or plexi in the front but just didn't have the time. For now it works. I will eventually change to something like a wall case for my customs only and have another for my production knives. But right now I need to finish some knives and get house projects done. Should only take me 2-3 months at the current rate I am going. Dan

http://www.usualsuspect.net/commerce/aff.php?aff=2405
A strong man disciplines his desires, restrains his reactions and keeps his commitments.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:02 AM
Enthusiast

I would think that a lot of your questions would have to be answered by the buyer. How many knives is he wanting to display...one really nice knife or a whole collection, glass top for people to see, or wooden to keep it hidden, etc. I would probably make glass top, wall/desk design for one knife as a start and take special orders for the rest.

Reid Allen
Old 10-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Guru

I took one of the Sauer glass door gun cabinets and put angled and fabric covered shelves in it.Works great and holds alot of knives, locking too.Dave
Old 10-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Living Legend

Steve's company makes some very nice cases. It might give you some ideas

http://www.tomway.com/index.asp
Old 10-05-2006, 09:15 PM
Hall of Famer

I'm not sure if your talking about making your own or having cases made.A friend of mine makes very nice wooden display cases.His user name on this forum is Tattoo12365.He made this case for me.

The box has a false bottom that hides the sheath.He does great work

Old 10-06-2006, 01:44 AM

Just do a few basic models to have on hand for quick sale, and then do custom work as you would for a knife. You just need to decide which options you'll offer and afix a price to each to help you set a price for custom work.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 10-06-2006, 07:07 AM

Chris,

Good ideas. First off, post a photo of the work you are referring too.

I am going to submit that your cases are especially well-suited to folders. I would start by making a model with about 6-8 bays in each row. With two levels and two rows you could accomodate up to 32 folders in a small space. THe sky is the limit here.

Second thing you really should consider is to take VERY good photographs of such to show on the web. You might consider a 'tactical' type box for those with those tastes. (Less fancy and warm woods. You figure something out).

The high-end fancy folder dealers will be you absolute best seller if you can show them. Their clients will purchase from them, so consider working within a dealer network and creating one.

I love the Tomway series and the owner is one of the GOOD GUYS in this industry. What will you do differently? Always a good question to ask.

Keep at it.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 10-06-2006, 07:46 AM
Master

Well, I think Andy(Garrett) has it pegged. it would mostly depend on the customer.

Something else to consider, is size limits of what you will offer/make.Example; Would a 1"x 2"x 4" with glass table top, for one knife(say a miniature) be smaller than your willing to do? Etc....

Coop is on to something too, the pocketknife colector world is HUGE.

G.

Gary Blessing,
Ex-custom knife maker, Ex-Folder modifier & embelisher.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Hall of Famer

I personally think that display cases add to the knife.Like putting a picture in a frame.Now that I know what you are doing,I would give some basic styles,and do custom orders as an option.It seems to be a fairly untapped field.Haven't seen that many people doing it.Good luck .

Old 10-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Living Legend

This is a bit of irony.

I've talked with Coop about having a Christmas present for my brother-in-law photographed.

It is a hunting set with a duck call all made out of the same would with Sandy making the sheaths. I wanted a display box to show it off. I arranged with person who specializes in custom boxes I know through the local Ren Fair.

The knives are on their way back from Sandy's and then on to the box maker. Once they are done they're going to Coop. If you'd like I can forward you a copy of the photo. This box is going to be probably a bit different than a general display box though.

Jim

Tags
knife, knives, pocketknife