MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:29 PM
Enthusiast

gas forge buy or make??

I need a gas forge badly and soon. I've always used my coal forge, running it with Anthracite coal. The problem is I can no longer cost effectively get coal. I'm looking into buying a prebuilt Gas forge, or possibly just making it. Help would be great, I've listed some of the ones I've been looking at. I've seen some square ones and the like that were very nice, and I can weld. I've watched the knife makers for noobs basic forge building dvd as well. It was very helpful. I need to make sure whatever I get or make is hot enough to forge and forge weld. I'm still researching, I've just put out a couple of posts to hopefully help expedite the process so I can order a forge or parts today or tomorrow. I live in small town so if it can't be found at tractor supply it has to be ordered online. Thanks again for any advice anyone has.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Propane-For...AAAOSwlepZ4~nx

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Propane-For...cAAOSwI6RZ2P8T

In case I just build the body
https://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-Made-ga...cAAOSw4YdY0O2r

On a side note. I have a 17/18" long by 10" tall air tank just sitting outside. Its big but I do some bigger stuff. Nothing that big yet but if it could work I would happily consider it over buying something, to use as a body.

Last edited by Steve Meyer; 11-02-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:08 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

You saw the DVD, you know you can build a forge of any size that will weld. Its very easy to get more than enough heat with forced air burners. Much cheaper to build than buy a forge. Stay away from the square ones ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-02-2017, 08:58 PM
Enthusiast

Yup saw the DVD. I hadn't even considered a forced air yet. Would a 0-30 psi regulator and a 1" or smaller nozzle be enough for a 8" round by 12" long forge? I just want a bit more room especially considering I need to make a couple of larger knives..

Last edited by Steve Meyer; 11-02-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:08 PM

If you have a decent hardware store in town you probably won't have to order anything except the wool and Satanite . Everything I used came from the hardware store and in one example I built my own gate valve and blower so cost can be controlled, size can be controlled. Forges wear out and have to be rebuilt every year or so (unless you build a monstrosity like the huge forge I demo at the end of the video) so it makes sense to built your own, it's easier to maintain that way ...

Old 11-02-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Meyer View Post
Yup saw the DVD. I hadn't even considered a forced air yet. Would a 0-30 psi regulator and a 1" or smaller nozzle be enough for a 8" round by 12" long forge? I just want a bit more room especially considering I need to make a couple of larger knives..
It should be. 0-30 is what we like no matter the size of the forge, 8 " isn't large, you'll have a 6" interior after 1" wool is added. A 1" forced air burner should be more than enough. The burners are simple to make so if you wanted to try a 3/4" and experiment it wouldn't be much trouble to do. My forge is much larger than that and it uses two 1" burners.....

Old 11-02-2017, 09:43 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you I ordered satanite and kaowool 1". Probably easiest in my case to just build the forge out of the air tank I have. It isn't just huge but with the diameter Ill have room for some billets I believe. Also it will mean 1 less thing to buy. I may shorten it though and make two port holes in case I need a second burner. Though I doubt I will. I was just going to buy a atmo burner but Ill look more into the forced air burner. Until the DVD I didn't know they were a thing. At all.

Last edited by Steve Meyer; 11-02-2017 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:45 AM

Some atmospheric burners can do it but most are touchy and require tuning. Good ones are tricky to build. Changes in the atmosphere (weather) can affect them a little too. Forced air burners are dead simple to build from a few pipes and a blower, they are usually noisy but they always work as expected ...

Old 11-03-2017, 09:24 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the advice I've ordreed parts and settled on a plan just have to actually get to building it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzZmnY0in6k&t=59s the guy in the dvd has a part by part list on his website, and I will have to order the burner parts so wanted to check that his will meet standards. Or tweek his plan as needed.

He also has a forge designed out of a propane tank that should be ok when transfered to my air tank?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMMJNm2939s&t=238s

Last edited by Steve Meyer; 11-03-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:14 AM
Guru

Ray, you forgot he needs to wear a efficient particle mask to mess with kao-wool. Tsk Tsk

Old 11-04-2017, 08:18 AM
Enthusiast

So using it to blow my nose is a bad idea?
Old 11-04-2017, 08:43 AM

QUOTE: So using it to blow my nose is a bad idea?

Some would say that idea was contra-indicated ....

Old 11-04-2017, 12:13 PM
Guru

good move building it I just caught this post now but I bought one similar to the links you put up when I first startmed making knives....lets just say with in 3 weeks I had rays video and built my own... I have a fe different forges now and have both venturi set up and forced air...in my opinion if you going to be doing big stuff like welding Damascus stuff like that the forced air burners are much more powerfull and the way to go if your going to just be heat treating or even small blades venturi will work...I have a pair of venturi burners made by chili forge that are better than the ones I made but still not as powerfull as the forced air burners I made so it all depends what you want to do and how big the forge is the bigger the space the more burner you need
Old 11-04-2017, 01:13 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks I'm definitely going with a forced air burner. I'm going to use the air tank I have here to build it. It's 10' T by 17"L. I'm going to cut it down to 12" long and after fire bricks and wool should have 8"s of room to work with inside.

Tags
advice, bee, blacksmith, build, building, buy, demo, easy, forge, forging, furnace, gas forge, heat, hot, knife, knifemaking, made, make, makers, making, problem, simple, small, supply, weld