MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Skilled

Just got the mail...

I've been trying to find a decent piece of Damascus for a while now. I had my heart set on a feather pattern, but have not found any. The only place I could even find selling it had a very loose pattern that looked nothing like the feather I wanted. Plus they wanted 250$ + for a not very large Billet.

So, for now I Ordered this From Alabama Damascus. It is Alabama Buckshot (do not google that term, I found out the hard way while searching it to show my mom ).

Oh,The possibilities. 1/4 of the Billet will go for an order I have for a Damascus Hunting knife.

Also in the Mail today was a copy of Bill Bagwells, Bowies, Battle Knives and the best of Battle Blades.

This thread will be a place holder for what I use the billet for. But you can rest assured It will be influenced by Mr Bagwell.

Oh, I'm going to Hell...

Last edited by ricky_arthur; 02-26-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:06 PM

Wow! what does a piece like that go for? what are the other dimensions?
Old 02-26-2013, 05:27 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbuda View Post
Wow! what does a piece like that go for? what are the other dimensions?
a little over 14" X 3" I got it for 130 with shipping.

Alot of the "Damascus" out there is of doubtful origin and quality (especially on Ebay), so I think it was a decent price from a company with good reputation.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:54 PM

Ought to make a beautiful knife...You'll have to make sure you share the final product!!! Would be great if you posted pics of the various stages during the making process.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:39 PM
Steel Addict

Have you checked out HHH knives for the feather damascus. he is selling some on KnifeDogs. His son forges it out.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by argel55 View Post
Have you checked out HHH knives for the feather damascus. he is selling some on KnifeDogs. His son forges it out.
Unless he has something new, he didn't have any feather damascus. He had some stuff that he was calling "new feather" but it was more floral looking than anything. It was cool for a wedding cake knife, but not what I wanted.

I got to looking at this Billet and there are quite a few flaws, I may end up sending it back. I think I need to post it in the Damascus Forum to see if it is normal.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Master

Are the flaws like cold shuts? I got some cheap damascus from a knife shop that was made in Taiwan and its got a crap load of cold shuts in it.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:05 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal99 View Post
Are the flaws like cold shuts? I got some cheap damascus from a knife shop that was made in Taiwan and its got a crap load of cold shuts in it.
I'm not sure what a cold shut is, but

It's got half dozen places mostly near the edge that look like metal popped off. The most worrisome spot is right near the center of the billet and it is hard to see but you can feel it. It feels like an incomplete weld. It was guaranteed to be free from defects, I just don't know how much is normal irregularity due to the process and what is considered a defect.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:01 AM
Master

A cold shut is an incomplete weld. If its completly welded it should have no voids.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:40 AM
Skilled

Here are pics of the areas, Don't know if they will show up. They are minor, and may grind out if placed in the right place on a blade, but will I find such voids all through the billet? Thats my worry.

These ones near the edge can be cut off I guess,

but this more subltle one in the Center is going to be right on the blade. Is this type of thing normal? Is it an indicator that I will find it all through the Billet as I grind? Or should it grind off and be fine underneath?

Just trying to see what is normal and needs to be worked around or if this needs to be sent back.

Thanks.

Will post this in the Damascus forum too.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:03 AM
Master

The ones on the edge I would work around but that one in the middle would probably really bother me. I would definatly give them a shout and send them those pictures. In a perfect world those shouldn't be there. The Taiwan damascus I got wasn't even that bad! They seem to have a pretty good reputation so they should take care of you. That's just my opinion on it. I haven't dealt with much damascus tho.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Skilled

I just got off the Phone with Alabama Damascus. They were nothing but class. Told me I could send it back and get another, or cut into it and see what happened and if I was unsatisfied with any portion or all of the billet they would make it right. He felt confident that I could grind through any imperfection on the surface, and if not, it would be made right.

Nice to do buisness with people who stand behind their product. I will do business with them again.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:26 PM
Enthusiast

That is a sweet piece of metal. I hope I can did the finished product when your done.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Skilled

It's a start
Old 03-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Skilled

Nice start looks Good .

Sam

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !

Tags
art, back, bee, billet, blade, blades, cold, damascus, edge, hunting, hunting knife, knife, knives, made, make, making, pattern, post, surface, weld