MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:57 PM

New grinder build started

The CAD work is done and I have all of the metal cut. I made the drive wheel today and will start milling the steel tomorrow. This is the frame, all steel billet. I made the other wheels also.

I am looking for a company who can apply the rubber coating to my 10" contact wheel. Any suggestions are appreciated. These things are way to expensive and I will make my own, and a few extra if I can find a company to apply the rubber. I may make a mold and cast eurathane around the wheels then turn it perfect on the lathe but it is not as good as rubber.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kmg frame.jpg (32.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 4 wheel set.jpg (56.9 KB, 49 views)
Old 05-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Steel Addict

It is good you got the knowledge and the equipment to make your own wheels and such.

Grizzly Tools offers a 10" well for around $75.00 to fit there belt grinder. It can be cut for pockets and bearings pressed into it. That is what I am using and it works well. Here is a link to the wheel. It is origionally designed to be used with a 1/2" or 5/8" arbor as in the pic. but once you cut the pockets for the bearings it becomes almost identical to what the companies are selling for over a $120.00 bucks. Note you may have to have it re-trued once you get the bearings cut in but it sounds as if you would be able to do that yourself.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-A...or-G1015/G9242

As for companies that can cover a wheel here is a couple of links!

I am not sure about this first one, if they will offer such a service or not.

http://www.contactrubber.com/contact-wheels.asp

This one under their services offers, Recovering / Retreading Service

http://www.sunray-inc.com/index.php?...FQef4AodkUIA8w

Check out this Google search and their may be more that offer such a service!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft

Last edited by C Craft; 05-01-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

The rubber coated wheels used on our grinders have a durometer 70 hardness. If you do find someone to coat your wheels they will need to know that . Serrated wheels tend to run cooler and cut better than plain wheels ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 05-01-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:41 AM

Thanks a lot for the info. Now I see why the large 10" wheels cost so much. The rubber companies want $145 each to apply the coating and dont give a quantity discount. The bar of 9" aluminum to make them from (12') is just under $2000.

I have all of the CAD model done now and made 6 platten plates on my plasma cutter. I made the axles for them when I had an hour open on the Haas SL10 lathe. I used 3/8" plate for the platten plates. It is in orange on the model.

Hopefully I can get an open mill next week and can make the rest of the parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newsm.JPG (58.2 KB, 29 views)
Old 05-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Skilled

Funny the Grinder looks just like this ! http://www.metalwebnews.com/manuals/knife-grinder.pdf

One I and many have posted a few times , and you scanned them into a CAD program . Also the wheels look like the ones the are sold here http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/sh...y.aspx?catid=9

Trust me I have a Very Very Good Friend that is working on the Exact same thing and is One of the most Extreme Machinist in the Surrounding Tri-States . I am not saying you are not good However even He would not build the wheels or Platten as the Beaumont Co. has done them and they are perfect ,Cost less then he could make them . Yes He works in less than 1 / 100 Th when doing work . I give credit where credit is due and you are claiming someone hard work as your own this is very sad . if you Build it on your own you will have issues with every part of the build that you are saying you have built ( the crown of the wheels ,the recess for bearings, and much more .

Ask me how I know ! one can not afford to waste the materials for any part of this scale of project and it be worth your time or effort much less your Wallet . While the prints are very clear Both myself and my Friend have been working on my build for well over a year refining many parts to achieve one of the very best KGM type Grinders for me so it will function with a flawless function , user friendly (less work for the knife maker when changing from plate to wheel , and all the accessories to also be the same ease of functionality.

I do wish you well on your endeavor just remember many have done a ton of work on this type of grinder give them credit for their hard work .

Best Regards

Samuel Cro

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 05-12-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cro View Post
Funny the Grinder looks just like this ! http://www.metalwebnews.com/manuals/knife-grinder.pdf

One I and many have posted a few times , and you scanned them into a CAD program . Also the wheels look like the ones the are sold here http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/sh...y.aspx?catid=9

Trust me I have a Very Very Good Friend that is working on the Exact same thing and is One of the most Extreme Machinist in the Surrounding Tri-States . I am not saying you are not good However even He would not build the wheels or Platten as the Beaumont Co. has done them and they are perfect ,Cost less then he could make them . Yes He works in less than 1 / 100 Th when doing work . I give credit where credit is due and you are claiming someone hard work as your own this is very sad . if you Build it on your own you will have issues with every part of the build that you are saying you have built ( the crown of the wheels ,the recess for bearings, and much more .

Ask me how I know ! one can not afford to waste the materials for any part of this scale of project and it be worth your time or effort much less your Wallet . While the prints are very clear Both myself and my Friend have been working on my build for well over a year refining many parts to achieve one of the very best KGM type Grinders for me so it will function with a flawless function , user friendly (less work for the knife maker when changing from plate to wheel , and all the accessories to also be the same ease of functionality.

I do wish you well on your endeavor just remember many have done a ton of work on this type of grinder give them credit for their hard work .

Best Regards

Samuel Cro
Thanks for posting the plans link, they are the ones I used to make the CAD model. They are not "Scanned into CAD" but must be completely redrawn, one part at a time and then the parts assembled as a 3d model to make sure they all will work. I do this before making anything I find plans for on the internet to make sure it will all fit.

You are also right about it not fitting as posted, there are a few very minor errors and no tolorences that I corrected when I assembled the CAD model and they would not fit. An example of this is the .750" thick cold rolled bar the tracking arm is made from fitting inside a .750" slot. This cant happen since the .750 bar is slighlty oversize. Also two holes wont line up on the tracking arm bar and the two little pivot mounts. The pivot hole needed to be moved a little also so the swinging tracking wheel mount can be ajusted both ways so I moved this hole a little also.

The wheels are super easy to make and I have made several hundred. The counterbore depth is the same as the bearing depth and the OD is the bearing OD size minus 3-5 ten thousandths for a nice press fit without compressing the bearings.

The design you posted is very good and will be super easy to make now that the plans are done and fitted correctly in the 3d model.

I am having a robotic CMM made for me by Renishaw to measure one of the regular production parts I make at my shop. See http://www.renishaw.com/en/equator-t...e-gauge--13465 They said the part I make is the most complicated thing they have ever set this machine up to measure. I can assure you, these grinder parts will not be a challenge to make correctly.

Here is another project I made that many told me would not work. It is a billet (7075 T6 aluminum) AR 10 style .308 rifle in the Armalite pattern that accepts DPMS magizines. I made the upper and lower receiver you see here. It was finished into a very nice rifle. I have made many such projects.

Thanks for the input and I am sorry if it appeared that I was taking credit for the design. It has been posted around the web so much that I thought its source was common knowledge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AR10 prototype sm.JPG (34.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 05-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Skilled

Thin,

I am Happy you cleared things up with your post reply , Many folks on here are newbies (New to knife making and forging) while others and myself may know or see you have the ability to make ,build or manufacture this or many other products the younger / new knife makers can not or do not understand just what it takes to build this type of Grinder and the things that go with it much less the time effort and money that is needed to complete it .

Please understand I was Not calling you a lair, putting you down for your work abilities or capabilities.
In fact I may want you to work with me on a project that I have been working on for about 6 years now. can you or would you be willing to send me your FFL # Credentials in a PM and let me review them and of course you would need / be required to sign a confidentiality Clause / Contract for this project if you are willing to work with me .

Yes we run into the same issue on the tracking arm and main working arm also we will be removing a few 1000 th's off the main arm and many other parts as well , also we have changed the bolts that are used to Hex head type bolts and counter bored them to be flush as a machinist they work much better and have more strength also on the main housing we added line up pins to it so when using the grinder and Hogging on a blade it will not spread or cause to much strain on the bolts . I will be going to my Friends shop today and take a few photos of our progress and the shop to show you . ( He does not have an FFL or he would be helping me on the Manufacture of my Gun project, this is why I am asking for your help ) Yes he is an Engineer as well as a designer and manufacture of many type of Machinery.

Thank you for your understanding and explanation of your abilities . I can send you a Phone # in a PM if you are willing to talk about the project .

Best Regards

Samuel Cro

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 05-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Steel Addict

Samuel Cro, just a quick FYi, you don't need a FFL to make your own gun. It doesn't even need a serial number. The only time you would need an FFL or a serial # is if you were to sell or transfer the gun.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:21 PM

5 million dollar factory to build a 5 thousand dollar machine very reasonable

Tags
apply, art, bee, billet, blade, build, build it, cold, design, easy, easy to make, forging, knife, knife making, made, make, make your own, materials, pattern, pins, pivot, post, press, project, steel