MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:29 PM
Guru

Long day

Hey guys so today i was continuing on the steel billet. i started drawing it out a bit and didnt see any de laminations so i think i got the forge weld good well so far anyway... but doing it by hand goes sooooooo slow and it was very hard work since it was a very hot day today. so i got to thinking about any ways to make this a lil quicker/easier (short of spending money i dont have on a power hammer wich as a beginner idk if i would do that even if i did have the extra money) so any way i see a couple ways to go about this first have a assistant to use a heavy hammer.. ok well my fathers around and not busy alot he cant swing a big hammer but he could hold the billet while i swing. how ever i would rather to do this on my own and not depend on people to be around. oh and i dont have a clasic anvil with horns and all that basicly it a very flat wide thick and heavy piece of metal and if i lay the billet (with rebar handle ) on it it is not long to fit the whole handle on it and it tips off. i was trying to think of a way to make something to cradle the back edge of the handle so the whole piece will stay on the "anvil" so i can use a bigger hammer on it with out any ones help holding it in place has any one ever played with that idea and come up with anything that would work??? another thing i was thinking about was taking a air chisel (thats what i call it but its a gun that hooks up to a air compressor and has different bits that fit in the front most are chisels shaped and it fires the chisle very fast kinda like a hand held jack hammer) well i thought maybe either cut off or grind down the chisels tip and weld a plate of steel to it so it would have a flat bottom like a hammer.....any one think this would work? have any other ideas? let me know if so thanks guys
Old 09-09-2015, 06:44 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

If you have a hole in your anvil you could weld a metal stub on a pair of vise grips so that the stub could sit in the hole to hold the vise grips that hold your billet (thanks to James McClendon for that).

As for the air tool, fugeddaboutit as they say on the East coast. Either go to the gym and build yourself up, get a couple of your friends to swing hammers while you move the billet, or wait until you can afford a hydraulic press....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-09-2015, 06:48 PM
Skilled

lol, Ray thanks for the shout out. Making a hardie tool with vice grips works well. You can make a hardie hole. It's never going to be easy to manually hammer it out. But you do get to forge your sweat and blood into the piece.

Tags
anvil, back, beginner, billet, blade, build, edge, flat, forge, grind, gun, hammer, hand, handle, hot, hydraulic press, make, metal, power hammer, press, rebar, steel, tips, weld