MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:20 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

W.I.P. on my KITH Bowie

Here's what I have so far:

5/16" O1 blade 11" long in front of the guard, distal taper over its entire length. Heat treat is complete, and a good bit of finish work has been done. No grinding at all has been done on the bevels. The edge and clip area still have HT scale, I left that for now to make it easier for me to see the centerline I marked before the taper was done. I figured I'd show this much to you now in case my attempt at grinding the bevels ends in disaster
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kb1.JPG (12.8 KB, 45 views)

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 11-13-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:10 AM
Steel Addict

Finally got started

Finally got my Bowie started. Got the blade cut out, cleaned up, and hardened yesterday. It's in its first tempering cycle now. Waiting on my glue on ceramic glass platen to get here before I start grinding the bevels. It has a slight warp in the blade, but nothing too bad, should be able to fix it
Old 10-15-2015, 11:33 AM

Remember to put a metal footing under that glass, don't rely on the glue alone. I prefer double sided carpet tape instead of the glue. Don't have to wait for it to set and its easier to remove if that becomes necessary. If you use the tape you definitely need the metal foot under the glass ...

Old 10-15-2015, 11:41 AM
Steel Addict

What do you mean by a "metal foot"?
Old 10-15-2015, 12:25 PM

A small piece of metal, about the thickness of the glass, either screwed or pinned to the platen just below where the glass will sit. The glass sits on the foot so that if the glue fatigues from heat or vibration then the glass can't slip down and get caught between the belt and the platen wheel thus becoming what we in the survival business like to call a 'glass grenade'. Guess how I became familiar with this concept. While you're at it, try to guess how long it took to pry all the glass fragments out of my walls, ceiling, and floor. And, don't forget to estimate how freaking lucky I was to have turned away from the grinder at just the critical moment.

Since then, I've used a foot at the base of the platen and never had another problem. Some will tell you the glue is enough and maybe it is but I know what happens if they turn out to be wrong and it ain't pretty ...

Old 10-15-2015, 01:14 PM
Steel Addict

Lol. I get it now, sounds like a good idea
Old 10-24-2015, 10:40 AM

Hey Guys,
I've been lurking and following this forum and what a great bunch of Knifemakers and ideas. I've been making knives( part time since I work shift work) for about a year and have about 20 knives under my belt. I'm still a noob but enjoying every sec. I went to knifemaking and leather sheath classes under the great Travis Daniels ( of TED's knives) and Jones Brothers (PB&J knives). I interested in joining the KITH contest if I can. Made from Old Mill saw, HT'ed to non-mag and soaked 5 mins in evenheat furance with satanite clayed for a Hamon, tempered 2x 400 degrees. Hardened nicely.
Hidden tang stabilized walnut handles sanded to 800. Guard is 1084 gun blued.
Just finished up the leather sheath with Timberratter skin last week. First time working with snake skin. I will enjoyed working on this project. Thanks to Mr. Ray and all you guys that has inspired me soooo much. Now see if I can figure out how to post pics

Well guys. I've search and read " how to post on here" , I'm really bad at this and I'm at work so when I get off work tonight, I will get the wife to show me. Have a great Saturday Guys and God bless

Last edited by TarRiverKnives; 10-24-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:50 PM

There's still time, especially if you already have a knife that meets the criteria for this KITH, which is that it must have a double guard and a false edge and a sheath.

You probably won't be able to post pictures right away since you are new here and the forum software does that to suppress spammers. But, you can take a picture of your knife in the format required for the KITH and email it to me. the format is (and everybody pay attention here):

Horizontal layout, plain background, include a ruler in the picture, include the sheath. See examples of the pictures already posted on the Bowie KITH page at http://www.rayrogers.com/kith_bowie.htm

Finally, since you are new and since you are using unknown steel you'll need to look at the KITH Preparation Sticky thread at the top of the forum. Make the ugly little knife pictured in that thread and send it to me for testing. This is to test your heat treat process only so the blade does not need to be well finished, does not need a handle. All it needs is your best heat treatment, a primary bevel, and to be sharpened. Follow the ugly pattern, the knife is designed like that for a reason. Use the same steel you use on the Bowie. Do a full quench, do not use clay or edge quench, make sure to harden the flat ricasso area....

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 10-24-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:18 PM

Hey Mr.Ray,
Thanks for the quick response. Earlier in the day I emailed you with a description and pics of knife and sheath but I will need to take a pic with the ruler when I get off tonight. I meet the criteria so don't see a issue there. I've already cut out all of that mill saw into blanks so I can't use your pattern but I can send one of the blanks that's been finished except for handles ( been HT'ed, quenched, tempered ,secondary beveled and sharpened just like the Bowie) if that would work for ya. In that emails I sent ya this morning ( with pics also) I included my # phone if it's easier Thanks again

Last edited by TarRiverKnives; 10-24-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:13 PM

I didn't receive anything in my email. If you sent a bunch of pictures and they totaled more than 7mb my protection software will delete the email from the server before its delivered to me so I never even know about it.

If a blank is what you have then I'll try to work with it. Understand that I will break it and you won't be getting it back ....

Old 10-25-2015, 11:51 AM

Tyrell Johnson's entry:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kith_bowie_tyrell_johnson.JPG (60.5 KB, 39 views)

Old 10-25-2015, 01:03 PM

Thank you Ray for posting that pic. Have a great day
Old 10-25-2015, 07:34 PM
Skilled

Great lookin' Bowie .... someone will be very proud to own !! (pick me
Old 10-26-2015, 07:39 AM

Thanks PoolQs. Ive enjoyed making this knife and sheath. Wish i hadnt carried the secondary bevel as high as i did thou and for a KITH, i should have used known metal but i stand by my HT process but Ray makes a great point.
To Ray,Damon,GHEzell and Cowtown..... WOW Gentlemen those are amazing pieces. The years of Experience and workmanship are outstanding. My piece is not up to ya'lls levels and i expect to be graded as such but what a great joy to be part of this. Have a great and wonderful week and God Bless you and yours

Last edited by TarRiverKnives; 10-26-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:44 PM
Hall of Famer

I'm ashamed to say that I'm going to have to withdraw from this KITH. I just never got started on it.

Doug

Tags
bee, big knife, blade, bowie, bowie knife, brand, choose, design, easy, edge, fighting, grind, guard, handle, iron, kit, knife, knives, made, make, making, movie, paring, post, sharp