MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 07-12-2022, 02:29 PM

preventing cross contamination

How do I prevent cross contamination when sanding handle material to a SS bolster for a seamless fit and feel. I have experienced this before and want to prevent it before I ruin some nice wood scales with black sanding or polishing residue. Any advice appreciated
Old 07-13-2022, 02:57 PM
Master

I was cleaning up some mammoth ivory scales after leveling the bolsters and it left all sorts of gray behind. I go back with a clean piece of abrasive to make sure the transition is smooth. Then to the buffer. The buffer alone will generally remove most the superficial steel residue. That's been my process to verify before buffing that the transition is leveled.

edit When you get the bolsters finished the way you like, taping them off and buffing the handle scales works too.

Last edited by M&J; 07-14-2022 at 05:16 PM.

Tags
abrasive, advice, back, bee, black, bolster, bolsters, buffer, cleaning, handle, handle material, ivory, make, mammoth, mammoth ivory, material, mobile, sanding, scales, steel, wood