MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:20 PM
Skilled

Damascus Bird and trout

Its been quite a while since I've posted a build on here. I figured this would be a good one. Since there were a few firsts with this 11 layer twist Damascus bird and trout knife. This was the first attempt at a twist damascus pattern, and only my 3rd billet. The African blackwood handle was the first handle that I made smaller than the knife. I wanted show more of the patterning. I like how it turned out but attaching the scales like this was a huge pain in the ass. The steel is 1084/15N20

Old 04-03-2019, 04:44 PM
Hall of Famer

I'd say that you nailed it on that one. I would say that the handle looks spot on. How does it feel in the hand?

Doug

Old 04-04-2019, 06:15 AM
Skilled

Thanks Doug. To me it doesn't feel much different than if i was to have sanded it flush. I went to town with the ol shoe shine sanding method to be sure all the corners were nice and round. I wasn't worried about this knife causing hot spots while using it as it is more of a finesse blade.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:03 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I second Doug's opinion - you nailed it! Fit and finish look great and the steel looks solid and clean.

How many layers did you go for? I usually prefer the look of 200-300 layers but that's a personal preference ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-04-2019, 08:42 AM
Skilled

Thanks Ray.
I wanted to try low layer damascus at least once to see if i would like it. This billet is only 11 layers and I think I got 15 twists into the 22" long billet.

Tags
1084, a, bee, billet, bird and trout knife, blade, build, clean, damascus, finish, handle, hot, knife, made, pattern, sanding, scales, show, steel