MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:24 AM
Guru

ok....yeh I aint that good at welding to attempt it but I have heard of people doing it but if your right better to just get a proper anvil...is there anyway to tell from a pic what material a anvil could be? my uncle came over last night and he was helping a friend clean out a shed last week and they found 2 anvils one about 250 pound one about 500....the guy gave him the smaller one for $50!....honestly my uncle doesn't need a big anvil I think it was more that he knew it was a great deal and wanted it just to have....he said he is positive it is not cast iron....he said he is going to try and clean it up a lil and send me pics today or tomorrow...the guy he was helping said he hasn't touched them in years and forgot they were even there. I am goin to his house next week so I can look at it then but idk if I could see what it is from a pic
Old 02-05-2017, 06:10 AM

Not a bad deal at all! Been my experience that most "bigger" anvils were actually made pretty well and meant for work. Most of the old ones had either wrought iron or cast iron bodies with a hardened deck plate forge welded or high temp fused to the top during mfgr. Not a big issue either way although most prefer WI. I'd have to at least bump the fella on the 500, just 'cause.
Make sure your Uncle remembers you in his will........
Better yet offer to "test" it out by forging him a nice blade. May get him thinking he's better served with it in your yard.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
anvil, art, at home, back, bee, blades, buy, cheap, damascus, flat, forge, forging, hammer, helping, home, how to, iron, knives, make, metal, sell, shop, small, steel, teach