MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:56 PM

epoxy mistake

just found on my newest knife I'm working on that epoxy leaked out and got onto the blade and top of handle....how can I fix this, or should I remove the handle and grind away the epoxy...don't know how I missed this
Old 05-12-2013, 06:25 PM
Skilled

Blade - dab the epoxy with Acetone (It will take a little bit of time) to get it to soften and use a popsicle stick to "pop" it off
Handle - Re-Sand
Old 05-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Hall of Famer

Get a 1/4" brass rod, or there abouts, and cold forge a chisel bevel on one end. Use it to scrape where the epoxy is on the metal. Very carefully use sandpaper over the wood. The best thing is to watch for stray epoxy while gluing up the handle and take it off with some WD-40 on a cotton tip applicator or paper towel.

Doug

Old 05-12-2013, 06:58 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

And next time use blue masking tape to protect the blade ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Steel Addict

I used the blue painters masking tape to very carefully mask the blade where it hit the front of the scales and I carefully masked and trimmed the tape on the front of the scale. It worked great.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:06 AM

Do a "dry fit" of everything before gluing up. Apply paste wax to everything you don't want epoxy to stick too (mask your blade as mentioned). Dissasemble, mix epoxy, apply and reassemble as you normally would. As your epoxy starts to cure it will go from tacky to rubbery. Leave a little of your residual epoxy on a card for testing. Usually around 45 min to hr after application. At this point you can use a sharpened stick as mentioned to easily peal the excess away. No muss no fuss.
It'll feel like a "monkey with pliers" thing first time around but a little practice and this gets quite easy.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 05-15-2013, 09:14 AM

Thanks to everyone for your advice..managed to remove the unwanted epoxy with help from your posts..this has been a real learning experience, every knife i make (this is only number three) i do something where i tell my self "remember not to do that again"..
Old 05-15-2013, 10:16 AM
Steel Addict

Since the start of my knife making journey I have made a lot of mistakes. But each one I make I write down in the note section on my iPhone. I write what happened, what went wrong, and how I fixed it. I also make a note of things that went right, heat treat, blade color as I see it, oil temp, etc.... I also write down what people tell me when I show a knife to someone or a picture I post. Really helps keep all the info in one place.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:09 PM

good idea.. a knife journal..i like it
Old 05-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Enthusiast

I use sort of a mix of both methods: Best choice seems to be to let the epoxy seem to harden a bit then I use an acetone rag to remove it from the blade. I also use a stick to get it from the handle then touch up with sandpaper.

Years ago, my wife bought a box of wooden coffee stirrers (popsicle sticks) that we're still using. I use them both for mixing the epoxy and when time for cleanup, I take a diagonal wire cutter and "bevel cut" the end to use a "chisel". I've used the brass rod in the past, but this is very quick and easy unless I've waited too long. Then, it's back to softening the epoxy and/or using a brass instrument.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:26 AM

Great idea on the journal Nick (hope you're doing a backup file). Tried for awhile with "mental notes", but at my age my rock chisel has gotten pretty dull.

Bob, I somehow wound up with several bundles of bamboo skewers in different diameters. I just sharpen them on my grinder when I have a fine grit belt on (out of habit). I do prefer wood over brass since some of my blades have forge texture still in place at the ricasso/guard area. The brass tends to leave "tracks". I save all my old business cards and those I accumulate to mix my epoxy on. Seem to be just the right size most the time.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
advice, apply, art, bee, bevel, blade, brass, cold, easy, epoxy, forge, handle, heat treat, knife, knife making, make, newest, post, rod, sand, scales, wax, wood