MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:48 PM
Banned

Exclamation Handle Help

Hey, guys. I need some help with my knife that I inherited from my grandfather.
He built a really beautiful knife. It's sturdy, strong, and lovely. I use it for cooking.
The only issue I have is that the handle feels sticky. I have minimal knowledge about wood, but I feel like I should apply something like a walnut stain to it. It feels like a bit of untreated wood. I need the handle to withstand water and oils. If anyone can point to me in what direction to go and what to do, that would be really helpful. Thanks!

Oh, and mods, kindly after I receive my answer. Thank you.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:15 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Without knowing what kind of wood it is there's no way to be sure how it should be finished. But, I can say this much: if you are using it in the kitchen then the best you can hope for is a temporary and not quite perfect resistance to water and oils. Under no circumstances should the knife be placed in a dish washer (I know, I shouldn't have to say that but better safe than sorry). We might be able to guess at the wood if there was a picture but the forum won't let you post until you have participated for a while. You can probably get around this by posting your pictures somewhere else like Photobucket and then putting a link in your next post ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-20-2016, 09:22 PM
Guru

What does the handle look like? Stickiness could just be from oils and fat from cutting meat if the handle wasn't sealed. Take some thinner or alcohol on a rag and rub it down. It shouldn't feel sticky after that. Let it sit overnight and check it to make sure nothing seeped out of it, if it is still sticky rub down again till it isn't. Your grandfather may have treated it with boiled linseed oil (blo) and if he did it just needs to have more applied to it. Blo isn't a permanent finish, it's like furniture wax and needs to be reapplied from time to time. You have a few options, you can buy some blo and use that or you can buy some wood wax and use that as well. I use Birchwood Casey Gunstock Wax you can buy at Walmart or sporting goods stores. The wax will last a little longer and will make the handle a little brighter. Another solution is if the alcohol or thinner soaks into the wood like a sponge then you can seal it with Minwax rub on polyurethane high gloss finish, which would be a permanent solution unless you put the knife into the dishwasher. All of the solutions cost about $10 or less for a small can or bottle.

As for walnut stain, that is why I asked you what the wood looks like. Is it a light colored wood? The stain by the way won't seal it as it just stains it. It would still need to be sealed by one of the above methods. Now back to the dishwasher, no, do not EVER put a wood handled knife in a dishwasher(or any other handle for that matter). The detergent, hot water and heat cycle will ruin the handle and even dull the blade. Wash by hand and wipe down after use. That's all I can say not knowing what kind of wood it is.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:24 PM
Banned

Don't worry, I won't stick it in the washer. I am a chef, after all. My link is not being approved by the mods
Old 09-21-2016, 07:17 AM
Enthusiast

You can PM me the link and I'll post it.

But it sounds like you should just re-sand and re-finish it. Which finish you use might depend on the wood, but usually for a working handle I use just a simple oil like boiled linseed since it can just be maintained instead of eventually chipping/eroding and requiring a full refinishing. It's kind of like using seasoned cast-iron or bare stainless steel surface pans instead of non-stick teflon. Requires constant upkeep and more skill but lasts a lot longer.

If you need it in harsh conditions or if you don't have time to maintain it, you should just use a different knife. Boiled linseed wouldn't stand up in a kitchen with lots of humidity, oils, acids, salt and detergents around. I'd only use it for prep and then clean/store it the rest of the time, use the cheap plastic handle knives for throughout the day.

Last edited by Neil McCauley; 09-21-2016 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:30 AM
Skilled

FWIW, I have a knife I've used in the kitchen for about 6-8 months now. It has a TruOil finish, which is what is used on gunstocks. As I understand, TruOil is a mix of BLO and either polyurethane and/or some other component, depending on who you're talking to. Apparently some level of mystery, again, depending on who you talk to.
Anyway, the handle has held up well though it isn't used in any level of "chef" type work. I slice citrus, tomatoes, and just general light kitchen use. Once or twice a day, rinse & dry it off. I give most of my new knives multiple coats of TruOil, sanding with steel wool between each coat.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 09-21-2016, 12:59 PM
Guru

Been meaning to try TruOil

Where do you buy it Goater? Oh, and how much does it cost, the gunstock wax I buy is $5+ and I get it from the Outpost Sporting Goods store here in Burnsville that carries everything for hunting, fishing, reloading and all kinds of knives for sale. They even have some old axes for sale too. They are considered one of the best archery suppliers in WNC and they will haggle a bit on the price too.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:33 PM
Skilled

Jim it's just the Birchwood Casey gunstock finish stuff bought in a small bottle, like the wax you use. Bought it at a local Dunhams sporting goods I think.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 09-21-2016, 04:24 PM
Guru

Oh, I should have remembered.

I forgot as my local store doesn't carry it, just the gunstock wax. For walnut I use the minwax polyurethane and let it soak in. I will thin it down some and do that then let it dry and steel wool and buff. I also use epoxy thinned way down and brush it onto porous wood like maple or walnut. I let it set for 24 hours and sand it off and then wax and buff. It soaks into the wood and permanently seals it. Porous as compared to exotic hardwoods and ironwoods. I like desert ironwood, but it wears out saw blades.

Tags
apply, back, blade, guns, handle, heat, hot, iron, kitchen, knife, knives, linseed oil, make, polyurethane, post, small, solutions, stainless steel, steel, walnut, water, wax, what kind, wood