MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:13 AM
Steel Addict

Liners

I have some vulcanized paper liner material that I bought a long time ago. I have wanted to try it for some contrast between my tangs and handle slabs for a while now, but I have been a little squeamish about trying it. I have a knife I'm working on now that I will probably keep for myself, so I would l ike to try it out.

I think I basically understand how to use them, but there's one thing I can't really plan out well in my mind. I finish shaping my handle scales after they're epoxied on, but obviously I finish out the ricasso end of the scales first, because I can't get it that once they're attached. I can't think of a good or easy way to make sure the spacers are clean and even with this front edge of the scales as I glue them on.

Any suggestions? I though about epoxying the liners to the scales and letting it cure before I finished the front end of the scale and attached it. Any problem with doing it that way? Is there a better way?
Old 12-12-2012, 08:24 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsmith111 View Post

I though about epoxying the liners to the scales and letting it cure before I finished the front end of the scale and attached it. Any problem with doing it that way? Is there a better way?
This is the way I've done it and haven't had any problems... works well!

Old 12-12-2012, 08:53 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I run the bolts through the scales and the liners, then shape and polish the front of the scales. Next, mount them on the tang with plenty of glue everywhere - everything is fluid at this point and tightens down evenly with no potential for trapped air or lumpiness....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Steel Addict

Yeah, I figure it will work, but I had thought about it possibly hardening without being flat. I use pins but I guess I could use bokts or a clamp to line it up and squeeze it together and shape everything at once.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Master

I glue the liners on the scales before I shape the front. I do them both at the same time and clamp them together with wax paper in between the two sets of scales. If your looking at it from the edge it goes scale, liner, wax paper, liner, scale. A friend of mine made a jig to help keep everything from sliding around when glueing liners on. It's basically a piece of counter top with holes in it that he sticks pins in around the scales to keep them from sliding around.

Tags
bee, blade, easy, edge, flat, handle, handle scales, how to, jig, knife, made, make, material, mount, pins, polish, scales, spacers, tang, wax