View Single Post
Old 06-08-2021, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&J View Post
I initially used a brass wire brush to get the chunky stuff off then rubbed with 3M 6000G/2micron polishing paper. That wasn't progressing well so I also tried a lead remover polishing cloth which actually worked fairly well. I'm unable to remove some of the deposits so it has a splotchy look including those lines.

It looks like I over rubbed it which wasn't the look desired.
I might not fully be on "the same page"..... Are you saying that you didn't do any hand sanding/finishing on it? If so, that is a big red flag to me.
When preparing damascus for etching, nothing will give you better results then hand sanding/finishing it. Even with a very fine machine finish, the etch simply will not come out looking as good as hand sanding.
Also, any type of buffing/polishing is a big no-no....the etch has to have something to "bite"....and very often a polished finish on damascus tends to results in blotchy/smeared looks. If that "lead remover polishing cloth" has been used on anything else/before, it's likely a contaminate.

It's obvious to me from viewing the pic, that the piece has the potential for a lot of chatoyance.... it just needs better prep before etching.

OK.... all that being said, if it were me, I would go to the grinder with a new 220 and clean the piece, then to 400, and 600. Then go to the bench and hand finish starting with 400, and go to at least 800. If you want the chatoyance to jump out... take it to 1200-1500.

I'm sure this is preaching to the choir, but CLEAN is the name of the game! I guess I should not make any assumptions, and ask what you are using for etchant? Hopefully Ferric Chloride.... that is going to give you a higher level of etch quality than anything else.

I typically put on the latex/nitrile gloves, clean the damascus with acetone and a CLEAN/NEW cotton rag, or if you use paper towels.... ONLY the scott brand blue "shop towels" variety. (typical paper towels, that are white, are processed with some type of detergent during production that will leave a film when used with acetone, and will cause streaks and smear in the etch). Then clean it a second time with windex, dry and then use compressed air to ensure it fully dry..... then into the etch. The etchant should be around 70F (Ferric Chloride) and diluted 3-1 or 4-1 with DISTILLED water. A slower etch always produces a better overall etch on damascus.

Here's a link to a really old video of mine on etching....but it's still true and useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NknW9Z7_pI

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Last edited by Ed Caffrey; 06-08-2021 at 11:47 AM.