MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:28 PM
Skilled

Help Needed On Non-Typical KMG Setup With Step Pulleys

Hello from Kansas City. I need help on setup of a new step pulley driven KMG-8 with a Baldor VL3514 C-Face no foot motor, that spins the shaft clockwise. Due to this clockwise rotation I understand or believe I will have to mount the motor behind the base of the grinder instead of beside it to drive the step pulleys/belt. I have a mount ordered from a company that attaches to the bottom 2 bolts on the face and looks like it will clear the 3 step pulley. I also don't see "reversible" anywhere on the motor data plate so I doubt it can be reversed. No directions come with the KMG. My questions are:

1. Are the motors on a KMG setup mounted in one solid position at all times? Or do they have to be loosened and moved around to accommodate the belt changes amongst the pulleys?

2. Are the step pulleys directly in line with each other? It looks that way in the pics on the Beaumont Metal Works website.

3. I have to build a table/platform for the KMG that rolls in and out of my garage. Any recommendations on something solid and sturdy, and approximately what height should it be at? Basically where should the contact wheel sit at in relation to my body? My house is 80+ years old and the basement is my drive-in garage with furnace nearby, unfinished and a tinderbox. Grinding will be outside on fair weather days.

4. Anybody have any close-up pics of their step pulley set-up, and/or does anybody have a C-face mounted no foot motor they used?

I will get all this to work one way or another. I must say the KMG was very well packed and shipped at 99 pounds with the 2 step pulleys and belt. It is indeed a beast and I could probably look at it for an hour. She is quite attractive to say the least. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Tony Zanussi
KCMO
Old 11-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulmaduro View Post
Hello from Kansas City. I need help on setup of a new step pulley driven KMG-8 with a Baldor VL3514 C-Face no foot motor, that spins the shaft clockwise. Due to this clockwise rotation I understand or believe I will have to mount the motor behind the base of the grinder instead of beside it to drive the step pulleys/belt. I have a mount ordered from a company that attaches to the bottom 2 bolts on the face and looks like it will clear the 3 step pulley. I also don't see "reversible" anywhere on the motor data plate so I doubt it can be reversed. No directions come with the KMG.
I finally figured it all out now and have it running. I took the motor to a local electric motor repair shop and they showed me how to reverse the spindle rotation to counter clock wise. It was so easy but I am not one very good at electrical items. I built a mount for the footless motor out of angle iron and bolted it to the bottom 2 bolts on the C-face. The angle iron run parallel with the grinder base. And I figured the step pulley system out and the proper belt tension. It was a great learning curve but am happy I figured it all out. If anybody else is ever in the same situation just contact me and I will provide some pics. Thanks.

Tony Zanussi
KCMO

Tags
angle, build, easy, grinding, how to, iron, mount, repair