MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Steel Addict

Dremel help (update)

My 400 series XPR Dremel won't start. The trouble shooter said brushes are usually the 1st problem. I have never replaced them and they are terribly worn.

Problem: The brushes for this Dremel are different from most their other models. I can't even buy them on-line from Dremel. After a long search I found them on E-Bay for $21. I can buy these but I am not 100% sure this will resolve my problem so I could end up wasting my money.

The other option is to buy a new Dremel, I am heavily invested in Dremel stuff. The newest Dremel has good reviews.

Does anyone have experience w/ motor brushes? Can this be the problem?

Anyone have the Dremel 4200, do u recommend it?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-42...r#.UbuTefnVX3Q

Do u think it is worth it to still repair the 1st one even if I get a new one?

Last edited by piggy; 06-17-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:20 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

The brushes could be the problem but you'll probably never know unless you replace them and see if it helps. If you wore out the brushes that badly then maybe the bearings are also starting to wear so, even if the brushes got it running again, it might only run for a while. A Dremel really isn't built for the kind of abuse that some of us put them through and should probably be considered a consumable tool like files, drills, and saw blades ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-14-2013, 07:55 PM
Master

I loved my 400 but it got too hot and burnt out. That is a common problem with that one. I've got the new one and they've doubled the ventilation. Works pretty good. I wouldnt get that whole big kit though, I'd find it cheaper on amazon and just the unit. If you need all the extras go to www.widgetsupply.com
Old 06-17-2013, 06:51 AM

How much difference in size are the brushes? You can reshape brushes with sand paper or emery board easily to fit if the available ones are larger. You can also go to a small elec motor repair shop like an auto alternator shop and see if you can find brushes close to the same size and retrofit.
Odd that Dremel doesn't carry the brush anymore. They recently supplied me with replacement brushes for my "antique" model #2 Dremel so I could get it back to running. I have a #1 as well. Both have metal housings - don't use, but like to play with them from time to time, just like to see 'em run.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 06-17-2013, 07:56 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks guys for the input.

The brushes in the 400 look like the ones that Rotozip uses.

Ray is right I took the Dremel apart. There was a small amount of rust on one side of the motor, saw dust in a very very small amount collected forward of the fan, it was enough to clog the front racer bearing which is frozen. The brushes were beyond repairing.

I think the 400 series didn't go well. They still sell 100, 200 but not the 400

Dremel referred brushes to changing oil on ur car, the better u maintain the better the motor. However, this info was on last page under maintenance. The page u go to after the fact.

I went ahead and bought the 4200 because I needed something quick to finish project for Fathers day w/ son.

The brush info is very prominent in the manual for 4200

A BUST, Dremel said works w/ most accessories, w/ included adapter.

What u find in manual is 4200 comes w/ 1/8" collet all others purchase separate and the 4200 has its own collets that only fit the 4200 DO NOT USE OTHER COLLETS, as they don't fit the quick lock.

Fine and dandy Dremel please tell me where to buy these as ur web site says not available on-line and no store, E-Bay, or Amazon seems to carry them. Are they a re-call item or something. I still can't use my 4200 w/ drill bits (from Dremel)
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessor...spx?pid=EZC482

What do u guys think of that mess?
Old 06-17-2013, 10:45 PM
Steel Addict

spontaneous buys are rarely the best.

4200 going back bought the 4000 instead.

I was paying $30 extra for the quick lock but the 4000 has a good system too, just loosen nut add bit tighten up. I don't have to buy any collets.

The collets in the 4200 are hard to put in and out. U have to use needle nose pliers to push down on the edge of the collet then remove. I was messing up the collet. It is not a good method. It took me over ten minutes to do this.

Poor Dremel 400 had one last job, a big spider ran across my bed and the dremel was handy so it smashed the spider now both can R.I.P.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:40 PM
Master

Best thing ever. EVER!

Amazon.com: Dremel 4486 MultiPro Keyless Chuck: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Dremel 4486 MultiPro Keyless Chuck: Home Improvement
Old 06-18-2013, 04:50 AM

With any of them, you have to keep them clean. Just a little residue in the chuck jaws and things will get off-center overworking the bearings.
Eli, used one of those for a few months on a flex-shaft and wound up tossing it. Seems it didn't like wet carving stone. Probably still be using it if I hadn't gotten it wet a few times.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 06-18-2013, 08:08 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Jensen View Post
Thanks for the post I seen that and was thinking about buying it. It doesn't work w/ the 4200 either. U have to see the tip of the 4200 it is very thin metal and u have push really hard w/ needle nose pliers if it buggers the end it has to go in for repair. It is way to fragile for anyone.

I got the 4000 and I like it a lot. This chuck will work w/ it. And I saved $30
Old 06-19-2013, 06:00 AM
Steel Addict

I have one of those keyless chucks, I liked it at first but it started slipping after awhile. I really like the set up they have now where the head of the dremel unscrews and basically has the wrench on the inside of it to tighten the chuck... I too had to get a new one recently after many years of abuse
Old 06-19-2013, 08:36 AM
Steel Addict

The prices on full-service flex shaft tools has been falling. Cas-Ker Co, a jewelry supply company, recently had one for for $94.00 which was a Eurotool (good brand) and had a 1/4 hp motor. It comes equipped with a jacobs style adjustable chuck (like a regular drill) and has all the power one would ever need. They are VERY easy to maintain. ...Teddy
Old 06-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Master

Mine's never slipped. Never gotten it wet though. A quick turn with pliers, it won't budge. I also have a keyless chuck for my drill press, and hand drill

Tags
antique, art, auto, back, bearing, blade, blades, carving, common, drill, edge, files, home, hot, kit, lock, newest, post, press, project, repair, sand, stone, store, supply