MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 02-09-2002, 08:45 PM
AeroZeppelin850

RE: AeroZeppelin850

This is not AeroZeppelin850 by the way, it is just a 15 year old boy wanting to post here, and hopes that he has not offended anybody. Please understand
Old 02-09-2002, 09:18 PM
primos

Anthony,
I'll address three of your recent posts here in this thread.

First off, young men and women are always welcome here at the forums. Our youngest member here is Kevin Warner who is 11 years old. So come on in and join the fun.

In another thread you asked if membership is free. Yes, it is completely free. By registering, your staus will change from "unregistered user" to "CKD Elite Member". If you need any help getting registered, there are several folks here who can help.

Finally, regarding the tongs, when I first got started I just used a long pair of channel lock pliers and a pair of vise grips until I could find a place to get tongs.

On a humorous note I see where after watching the video from Hood's Woods, you said that you never knew it was so simple. I got a good giggle out of that one. I believe you will find that when an experienced smith gives a demonstration, he just makes it "look" simple. It will be difficult in the beginning, but it is quite rewarding, so stick with it.

Old 02-10-2002, 05:02 PM
AeroZeppelin850

hehe

Thank you Primos, it is good to know that in a short while I will be able to post normally. By the way, exactly where did you find tongs? You say that you just used vice grips and stuff for a time, Hmmm, ya that'll work for a while. Thanks again.
Old 02-10-2002, 05:22 PM
primos

Re: hehe

I found a place in a small town near me which caters to blacksmiths. That was several years ago and I don't know if they are even still in business. There are several places to buy tongs, hammers, anvils, etc., but this stuff does tend to be rather expensive. Most of us are poor boys and just have to make do with what we can find until something good comes along.

For example, I found a blacksmith who was retiring after 30 years in the business. I bought my anvil from him for $100. I also picked up a nice chop saw and about a dozen discs from him for $50. He had several other things I wanted, but they were already spoken for. I Found an old post vise in great shape at a flea market for $35. I believe a vise of this size sells for about $600 or more new.
Old 02-10-2002, 06:49 PM
Jeff Sanders

Welcome Anthony,

Forge ahead
Old 02-11-2002, 08:11 AM
Kevin Isler

Welcome Anthony! I wish I had started at your age, I'd be good at it by now. Be especially careful getting started, we can give you alot of info here but my best recommendation is to read all the posts especially the archives where some good tech info is stored. Library books on blacksmithing and bladesmithing are full of good "how to" stuff. Arm yourself with knowledge before you fire up a forge and save yourself alot of confusion and (God forbid) PAIN.

... and under no circumstances take any of your masterpieces to school!!!! I wouldn't even discuss your new hobby in a classroom. I work for a school district and I know how serious "Zero Tolerence" is in this day and age. Kids in school are getting suspended and even expelled for questionable drawings or nail files. Just be responsible if you're going to enjoy metalsmithing and keep your folks involved so they can feel comfortable about the time you spend at it.
Sorry for the rant, Bro.

Tags
forge