MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:00 AM
Skilled

About that porta-band, metal bandsaw solution...

...I just couldn't justify the space for something like the Harbor Freight floor saw and at $255 I figured I'd get a better saw with a DeWalt with the difference in price being less than $50 bucks. Also the smaller blades are cheaper. So I built a rigged "stand" , removed a rarely used scroll saw and put this in it's place. It can still be moved or relocated if needed, but since this stand was already in use with the scroll saw and small belt sander, no additional space was needed.

I added a piece of micarta for a "table" and while functional, it is a bit thin. Better would be a thick piece of aluminum or at least a thicker piece of micarta or some other stable and hard material.

I use a piece of velcro for a "switch" to lock the trigger down. That allows a quick release if necessary. I'm thinking of a foot switch to use instead.

As far as function. I cut one template out of mild steel and a small blade out of 1/8" 0-1. While not overly impressed with any increase in efficiency over a angle grinder, it does indeed eliminate all of that airborne steel particulate that is produced with an angle grinder. It just produces filings below the saw, which is easily vacuumed up. (I'll still wear a respirator when cutting for safety)
Also it does indeed cut closer to the actual profile, so "roughing in" isn't so rough. Not sure that there is any real savings as far as "waste" there though.
So while no time is saved in actual cutting, perhaps time, and sanding belts, will be saved in the final profile definition at the belt grinder because there is not as much waste that needs to be ground away to define the final profile.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 02-14-2017, 12:15 PM
Skilled

you might want to consider flipping your table piece around so the slot for the blade in in the front.
that way you done have to take it off every time you change out the blades.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:11 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon View Post
you might want to consider flipping your table piece around so the slot for the blade in in the front.
that way you done have to take it off every time you change out the blades.
DOH!!! Face-palm!

Thanks

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 02-14-2017, 03:34 PM
Guru

Looks good man! I know space was the major factor. It seems you've solved that issue looks like a great set up. Keep us imformed how it works. I have never used a portable band saw for anything but seems like you got it set up pretty good as long as it cuts good I don't see and functioning difference than my HF BUT you did it with 1/4 the space good job!
Old 02-14-2017, 06:45 PM
Guru

Backwards?

Backwards, hehehehe. I've never done something like that. Like mounting my bandsaw 2 feet next to my scroll saw so I can't cut anything longer than 2 feet! LOL

Great looking setup though, movable and is making me think about getting one now. Doggone You! Making me think about spending money I don't have.

Last edited by jimmontg; 02-14-2017 at 08:06 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-15-2017, 07:34 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
Backwards, hehehehe. I've never done something like that. Like mounting my bandsaw 2 feet next to my scroll saw so I can't cut anything longer than 2 feet! LOL

Great looking setup though, movable and is making me think about getting one now. Doggone You! Making me think about spending money I don't have.

There's no end to it. Seems I sell a few, get some jingle in my pocket and there's something I "need" and the jingle is gone.
Just bought this saw.
Just spent over $200 on new belts.
Picking up the phone now to call Sheffield's
The goats need feed...

Never ends.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 02-15-2017, 07:50 AM

Is that the only color they had?
Think you are going to find that saw a lot more useful as time moves on. Yeah, it's a bit slower than a big saw or a sidegrinder/cutoff, but it's much easier to control cuts and will do double duty.
You could stiffen up the micarta with a steel or aluminum underplate and the micarta can be a sacrificial deck. It will eventually get gouges and imbedded metal and require replacing anyway.
Looking solid from here.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 02-15-2017, 08:53 AM
Guru

WNC.....Your right about it being never ending that is for sure! I am kinda lucky I can borrow cash from my mother a lot of the time...But it seems as soon as I pay her back I am borrowing again. Perfect example finished paying her back for a lot of the folder supplies, pivots titanium ect.. last week. A few days ago I decided I NEEDED a mill so now I owe her for that LOL Deffinitly never ending. Its funny cause everytime I borrow some cash from her she always asks "is this it you wont need anything else for a while" I used to respond " ohhh yeh ill be good this is all I need" LOL SO FUNNY eventually I told her exactly what you said there will always be something new that's for sure...
Old 02-15-2017, 01:14 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crex View Post
Is that the only color they had?
I hear Crayola will add a new color next year, "DeWalt Yellow".

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 02-15-2017, 01:17 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtec1 View Post
WNC.....Your right about it being never ending that is for sure! I am kinda lucky I can borrow cash from my mother a lot of the time...But it seems as soon as I pay her back I am borrowing again. Perfect example finished paying her back for a lot of the folder supplies, pivots titanium ect.. last week. A few days ago I decided I NEEDED a mill so now I owe her for that LOL Deffinitly never ending. Its funny cause everytime I borrow some cash from her she always asks "is this it you wont need anything else for a while" I used to respond " ohhh yeh ill be good this is all I need" LOL SO FUNNY eventually I told her exactly what you said there will always be something new that's for sure...
You HAVE bought a lot of equipment over the past year. I think your mom should charge interest.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 02-15-2017, 01:58 PM
Guru

Dude ALOT isn't the word, the first couple things were my dad getting me stuff because he was happy I was doing the right thing and doing something productive with my hands.....All the stuff I got after he passed is more of loans than a gift without him around we tightened up on money....My problem is I never save enough money to buy a big piece of equipment ill waste it on stupid stuff. So having the ability to borrow the money and pay it back in small chuncks is huge for me I would of never saved money for all the stuff I have
Old 02-16-2017, 06:20 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to combs6136
Portaband saw

I have converted 5 of the saws for other people............I cut all my handles out with one......as well as all my blades............Plus all my other honey does I have to do.............BEst tool in the shop.................combs6136

Tags
2017, angle, bandsaw, belt, belt sander, belts, blade, blades, cutting, dewalt, grinder, knife, knives, lock, material, metal, micarta, profile, release, safety, sander, sanding, steel, switch, template