MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:02 PM

Replace Morseth knife handle

Moderator: If I placed this in the wrong sub-forum, please move it to where it belongs.

I have an older Morseth knife (laminated non-stainless blade) whose handle I want replaced, and possibly its guard also - that is, existing handle can be destroyed during replacement, if necessary. The existing guard may be salvageable. Excepting these, no additional work is needed on the Morseth. Sheath replacement might be worth discussing as well.

If you, or someone you know, is interested in discussing this job and capable of doing it, please PM me to arrange our discussion.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:17 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

A picture would be a big advantage in this discussion ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-08-2017, 08:54 AM
Guru

agree....
Old 07-08-2017, 09:04 PM
Guru

If you have an original Morseth sheath then you do not want to get rid of it, you want to restore it as close to original as possible. Does the sheath have a rubber membrane on the inside? Also from my research I have to ask is this a 1950's Morseth or one made by his son? If it is 1950's vintage then the guard must be retained and the original handle duplicated as close as possible.

Last edited by jimmontg; 07-08-2017 at 09:10 PM. Reason: addition
Old 07-09-2017, 07:27 PM

From my circa 2005 Power Mac G5 running OS X 10.4.11, linking with any site that acts like Photobucket doesn't happen. I would email a photograph to someone who can load to this thread.

Although this Morseth knife is original, its sheath is not. And original or not, handle remains an eyesore. It is more than possible that a previous owner rehandled the blade. Regarding collectibility, I'm a user rather than collector. I just gave some superb older knives to my nephew, his three kids, and wife. I started rooting around in my "stuff" box and found this knife. I tried using it in the kitchen for a few weeks - my standard "drop it to see if it breaks" test. Knife is almost useful and would be useful with a comfortable handle.

Having typed that, if its photograph can be posted and someone wants it, there were many, many Morseths sold while blade was laminated. I have no issues swapping.

Without knowing for certain, I believe this is of the Steve Morseth era. I guess it's possible that it could be from A.G. Russell near the beginning of its Morseth ownership.
FYI: My first choice was to have A.G. Russell do the job. They are the current iteration of Morseth Knives. I had a chat with their production manager. Completely different tooling; completely different tang dimensions (read thicknesses). They do not service original Morseth knives. But I did obtain their last original end nut, so I guess it wasn't an entirely fruitless call.

Last edited by Naphtali; 07-09-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:05 PM
Guru

Well Naphtali, making a new handle is easy.

Well for me anyway, you have my email, send me a pic and I can give you a price, but I have to warn you it's like a $40 minimum with shipping and all and goes up also if you need a new sheath. I would hope I don't have to make a new guard.

Do you not have the means to remove the old handle, (hacksaw will do) and put a new one on? I presume it is a hidden tang as most Norwegian blades were and that makes putting a new handle on pretty easy. Files, sandpaper, epoxy, a drill gun and bits would do it. Lots of handle choices out there from Dymondwood to exotic bone or antler. All the knife supply places have blocks and scales.

Heck you can build the old handle up with some acraglas and sand it down to suit your hand. Texas Knife supply even sells do it yourself acrylic kits for making handles so you could build the handle up with that.
http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=41_990
Old 07-09-2017, 11:34 PM

Jim:

Many thanks for your reply. I'll get photographs and explanatory information to you within the next couple of days.

Tags
antler, blade, collector, files, fixed blade, guard, handle, hidden, kitchen, kits, knife, knife handle, knife supply, knives, ore, scales, sheath, stainless, supply, tang