MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Living Legend

Oyster shuckers

Next weekend we are having our yearly family reunion and we are going to be camping on a prime oyster beach. I was not able to find my oyster shucking knife so I decided to try making one. The blade was unusual enough that it was a new challenge for me. It is 1084 and as much as hate to admit it, stock removal. The guard is cold hammered brass and the bolster is bronze. I turned the handle out of an unknown mahogany and gave it many layers of high gloss tung oil.

The sheath was made from some spalted maple. It is more of a blade protector then sheath since it does not have a belt loop.

After doing a stock removal knife I had to get that horrible bad taste out of my mouth. So I atoned for my SR sins with an all hammer forged one from 1084. This is the one I will use to pry those salty little bastards open with. I don't want to screw up the first one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oyster shucker 003-web.jpg (48.2 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by B.Finnigan; 09-30-2006 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:02 PM
Master

That's really cool, Brent. When you're using it does your hand spend much time up against the guard? Nothing like a specific use to help you design a knife.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:14 PM
Living Legend

I don't know if you have ever shucked oysters but the guard is actually to protect your hand from the shells not the blade. The blade is not really sharp, it is more of a prying tool then a knife. This design was just from memory of what my el cheapo one looked like. I have seen a few different types at the sporting goods stores.

Tags
blade, knife