MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:56 PM

Best alternative size to 2x72 grinder

Ok, I understand part of the appeal of the 2x72 grinder has the best selection of belts. I am just starting out, and don't want to spend the money on that large of a grinder yet. What is a good alternative, where I can still get a decent selection of belts on a more affordable unit? I have found several grinders on craigslist for less than $100 and that is kind of the budget I want to keep it on at the moment. I'd rather go used on a decent grinder than go with the $40 grinder from Harbor Freight.
Thanks!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:24 PM

What I am currently looking at is a Delta SA180, which is a 1x42. Will this work as a general use grinder? I have downloaded instructions on how to make it adjustable speed, which makes it look pretty versatile. From what I have read, it gets glowing reviews for knife sharpening, but what about as my primary grinder and then if I move up to a 2x72 then move it to just sharpening duty?
Thanks,
Brandon
Old 09-27-2012, 10:11 AM

A lot of people go with the craftsman 2x42 grinder (including myself as a new maker, also) and I have seen excellent results. I have yet to do my bevel grinding, but it worked great for the few profiles I've done. The belt selection is also not too bad and if there was a way to make that machine variable speed as well, it would probably be far more ideal than a 1x.

I would also be very interested to see the instructions for the adjustable speed...

Justin
Old 09-27-2012, 09:12 PM

Here's the instructions for the variable speed I found.

http://www.knifeforums.com/uploads/1...A180_Final.pdf

The guy on craigslist wants $75, I'm thinking if its available when I'm off on monday I'll offer $50 and see what happens.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:21 PM

Well if you can snake it for 50 or even a little more, it would be worth it to have as a sharpener and other things like finishing handles in the tight grooves regardless of whether its your primary grinder. I've seen knives made on a 1x30, and some look excellent. You use what you have, and/or can afford. Having the 1x and the 2x, I don't think I could have a steady enough hand to do anything larger than a small neck knife on a belt that small. Than again I don't have the hands of a surgeon, but its something to consider.
All the best,
Justin
Old 09-29-2012, 12:50 AM
Steel Addict

Something to consider when buying a grinder is the speed.
Yesterday a friend of mine purchased a really nice, well built 2X48 (I think that was the belt size). There are plenty of belts available but the the direct drive motor runs at 3450 rpm. This is way to fast IMO for sanding with fine belts. For $50 it was still a good deal but for direct drive sanders I would look for a slower motor. Ideally, find a three or four pulley grinder.

Brett
Old 10-03-2012, 12:01 AM

well it was no longer listed on Craigslist list when I had time to make a deal. I guess I snoozed too long. I still like the idea of doing as much by hand as possible for my first knife or so anyway...

Tags
bevel, craftsman, grinding, hand, how to, knife, knife sharpening, knives, made, make, neck knife, sharpening