MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:49 AM

KickStarter Discussion

So, I am a young knife maker, and I do not have a lot of money to spend on tools and equipment and materials that I need for the essentials. Being that I am a young artist who is a graphic designer, I have a lot of social media skills that I am utilizing to raise money, one of which is Kickstarter.

In kickstarter you reward the people backing you for giving funding.
you break it down, if a person donates say, 1$ you might just email them a thank you, if they donate 30$ you might give them a small gift representing your company, if they donate say $100 you give them something a little more than a gift.

So I need some ideas for rewards, does anybody have anything in mind?
Any ideas can be thrown in, just to get my mind flowing.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:35 AM
Skilled

Or you can go with the age old capitalist option; a finished product for $. Start small, visit yard sales to find equipment. You start making a decent cutting knife, then you can sell them. Don't expect to get much for your first knives. The goal is just to self support.
As your experience increases, so will the quality of your work and with that what you can expect people will give for them.
Ray Rogers does a Sunday nite chat for newbs, they can help walk you through. Your kickstarter is best left for charities and late nite infomercials.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I've had some experience with kickstarter projects as they relate to the knifemkaing. Be prepared to put in a good deal of time and $$$ to create the actual kickstarter project. Those who are successful offer a product for the "donations" received. It is also not without some risk to you..... if you're funding goal is not met, you receive nothing, and even if you're funding goal is met, be prepared to give up 14-20% of the overall funding as a "service fee" to kickstarter. If the product is good/unique, and you can exceed your funding goal by a good percentage, then it CAN be worth the time, effort, and money.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 03-16-2015, 08:39 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

It doesn't take a lot of tools to make a knife. Many guys start with a few files, a hacksaw, a vise, and some sandpaper. Common tools that you may already have or someone you know could lend to you. Its more about the will to do it than the tools you have ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
art, common, files, knife, knives, make, making, materials, sell, small, throw, tools, vise