MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Steel Addict

Micarta ?

Hello,
I have a piece of Micarta that I recently found in the bottom of a tool box drawer in the shop. I thought that it was either a brown or red micarta and decided to use it on a knife that I was in a hurry to make.
When I started machining it and grinding and sanding the exterior finish started to disappear and I started to see a lighter almost blond color emerge. I went back to my original piece and examined the fresh cut side that I took my scales from.
I could see that the dark finish on both sides was very thin and the entire center is this yellow/blond color.
I really like the color and my scale has a tiny amount of the red/brown on the top, bottom and sides with the rest that cream/blond color.
Does any body have any idea of what I have? I probably bought it over twenty years ago and it got eaten by my tool box until this weekend.
Thanks for the help.
Regards,
Fred
Old 02-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Skilled

It could very well be micarta. There could be a very thin layer of oxidized material on the outside. I've seen similar due to ultraviolet light exposure, so I think that oxidization could be possible.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Steel Addict

pipecrafter,
It is micarta. It is a 12*12* about 3/8Th piece. I just wish that I knew what it is supposed to be. I looked on a website tonight, maybe Texas knifemaker, and they had a butterscotch that looked very close to what I have.
But I thought that Micarta was almost impervious to change.
This is going to fun to experiment with. It does have a very nice color. Luckily, I used it on a personal knife, so I don't have an upset buyer on my hands.
I used the Micarta on my version of a round knife made from 1/16Th* 4" O1. I have not finished it yet.
Thanks for the help.
Regards,
Fred
Old 02-03-2010, 12:57 AM
Master

Fred, Some of the older micarta had a darker outer cover area, also some of it would change color on the outer area of the edges. Even the old Westing-House stuff that I used to be able to get was like that, especially the Ivory color (it would age just like the real Ivory will). Hope that this helps.
Curtis

Old 02-04-2010, 05:30 AM
Steel Addict

Curtis,
I am starting to think that it might be the old ivory micarta. I seem to remember wanting to get some because it was very popular. I feel foolish that I can't remember what it is. Also surprised by the color change. I thought micarta was stable and would not change color.
Thanks for the reply.
Fred
Old 02-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Skilled

Sounds just like "Ivory Micarta" to me. Apparently, the orignal stuff didnt have the color stabilzation they put in the newer stuff. Didn't need it inside a circuit board.... A buddy of mine has some old original micarta that is a brown color but when exposed to light, it changes color slightly. His gets lighter colored.

make good knife with it and sell for much wompom! That old original stuff is HARD TO FIND! I'd love to get my hands on some...

"..good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from poor judgement.." -Gary McMahan, a cowboy poet and good dancer.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...24112090995576
Old 02-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Master

Fred, The older stuff was not as stable for the color especially the Ivory. Most of the colors would hold the color real well.
CUrtis

Old 02-05-2010, 06:09 AM
Steel Addict

Curtis,
I wonder how some of the knives that were made with that, have changed over the years? The owners must have been surprised, I know I was!
Regards,
Fred
Old 02-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Master

Most makers used it because of it showing an aged petina.
Curtis

Old 02-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Enthusiast

Very interesting. Thanks for the info and thanks for sharing.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks for all the help. I will take photos and post them as soon as I can. I have been working on a number of projects at the same time, non of which seem to get finished on time. I did get a head knife done, but then I modified the blade, which scratched the blade.
Fred
Old 02-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelallito View Post
Thanks for all the help. I will take photos and post them as soon as I can. I have been working on a number of projects at the same time, non of which seem to get finished on time. I did get a head knife done, but then I modified the blade, which scratched the blade.
Fred
Just pace yourself I'm sure you can finish all your projects. Just take it one day at a time. I get so frustrated when I try to modify a blade and it scratches it too so I feel your pain.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:29 AM
Steel Addict

I,
Thanks for the good advice. I still have not taken photos-my bad.
At the moment I am ticked off. I think that I did not get the heat treat right. On one tip it cuts like a razor, the other tip did not. I thought I did not sharpen it correctly, so I resharpened it and when I tried to cut with it it looked as if the very point had folded. To reheat treat it I will have to remove the handle.
I have been wondering if i used the paste to control heat transfer, if i could just harden the tip.
All advice happily received.
Regards,
Fred
Old 03-11-2010, 12:13 AM
Master

No the whole blade needs to be hardened and then tempered again. What type of steel are you using?
Curtis

Old 03-11-2010, 06:37 AM
Steel Addict

CW,
The blade is made of O1. I think that I did not get it hard enough all the way across. I put it on a small backpack propane burner to heat it and then used a Mapp gas cylinder connected to a Bernzomatic(spelling?) burner to get it to what I thought was completely,non magnetic before putting it in the preheated quench oil. Then I did two one hour cycles in an oven for tempering.
I epoxied the micarta to the handle and put two mosaic pins.
CAN I use heat to break the epoxy bond? The pins are not peened.
Thanks for the help.
Regards,
Fred

Tags
blade, ivory, knife, knives