MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Steel Addict

Army Pilots new Knife

Here is a knife that is going to an Army Kiowa helicopter pilot....It is made from a farriers rasp. The micarta is hand made by me....my first attempt, from burlap and cotton cloth. The burlap came out looking like a 3D photo! Welding rod pins and a thong hole. I will be making a leather sheath tomorow. It will be a "tactical" style set up for the MOLLE system. This is a gift to the brother of a co-worker. Overall legnth is about eith inches with a blade legnth of a little over four inches. He wanted this to wear on his chest system. I hope he likes it.

Last edited by Pairomedicsfish; 01-11-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Steel Addict

Excellent knife, I like the handle I need to try some.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:33 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks for responding Dave.....the micarta was much easier than it seems. Having a long long history in marine manufacturing and fiberglass work may have helped some. It is very simple though....
Old 01-13-2013, 09:00 AM
Skilled

Great looking knife, I really like the handle material.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Steel Addict

Very nice knife. Well proportioned and I really like the rasp pattern. The handle looks great.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:52 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairomedicsfish View Post
Here is a knife that is going to an Army Kiowa helicopter pilot....It is made from a farriers rasp. The micarta is hand made by me....my first attempt, from burlap and cotton cloth. The burlap came out looking like a 3D photo! Welding rod pins and a thong hole. I will be making a leather sheath tomorow. It will be a "tactical" style set up for the MOLLE system. This is a gift to the brother of a co-worker. Overall legnth is about eith inches with a blade legnth of a little over four inches. He wanted this to wear on his chest system. I hope he likes it.

I liked the handle so much I went to lowes today and got some fiberglass resin and cut up a bunch of burlap I had in the garage, I've got it clamped between a couple boards as I type this, I'll post the outcome later.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:33 AM

That turned out pretty nice. One of my fellow GA Guild members gave me a chunk of coffee bean bag micarta a while back. Can still see the logo print on some of it. Guess I'd better find where I stuck it and put it to work.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
back, blade, hand, handle, knife, leather, leather sheath, made, making, material, micarta, molle, pattern, pins, post, resin, rod, sheath, simple, tactical