MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:34 PM
Skilled

Damascus Dagger

Hi, all.
After much trial and tribulation, here is my latest piece: a damascus dagger made from w1 and 1095 with some nickel mixed in. It is made from a can-welded 1x1 inch slab. After welding I heated it to "screaming yellow", put it into my vise and gave it a 360 degree turn with a pipe wrench. After flattening I ground away the can exterior and then forged the blade. The guard is filed, then forged into shape. The grip is cocobolo, the fittings are steel, with a black marble stone set into the pommel. 6 1/2 inch blade, 4 1/2 inch grip. It is carried renaissance style in the small of the back and drawn with the left hand from behind. Hope you like it.
Cheers,
Chris
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
www.twomountainsforge.com
Old 06-09-2013, 11:32 PM

Very pretty work.

Aaron
Old 06-09-2013, 11:53 PM
Skilled

This kind of stuff isn't allowed in the Newbie Arena..

that sir is a fantasic piece of workmanship.

~Nate
Old 06-10-2013, 12:10 AM
Hall of Famer

Most excellent sir! Finely done. Just one question, why did you use W1 and 1095? They're almost the same steel.

Doug

Old 06-10-2013, 05:44 AM
Steel Addict

Very impressive indeed!

Old 06-10-2013, 07:40 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

More work than I'd want to do, very nice!

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-10-2013, 07:54 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lester View Post
Most excellent sir! Finely done. Just one question, why did you use W1 and 1095? They're almost the same steel.

Doug
Thank you very much for your kind comments. Doug, it's mostly because that's what I had on hand, and I have been told steels with similar expansion ratios will minimize the risk of warping. I have done 5160, 1095, W1 and mild steel, and the w1 / 1095 mix seems to get the best results so far...

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
Old 06-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Hall of Famer

Just curious. Of course there is the pure nickel in the mix which will give lots of contrast. At any rate, that is fantastic work that not many are capable of.

Doug

Old 06-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Nate View Post
This kind of stuff isn't allowed in the Newbie Arena..

that sir is a fantasic piece of workmanship.

~Nate
Nate, I consider myself a newbie only because i make about a dozen knives a year and I feel like each time is the first time... I often forget lessons learned between projects (doh!) and end up making the same mistakes... Yeah, I'm still a newbie...

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
Old 06-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckluftinger View Post
Nate, I consider myself a newbie only because i make about a dozen knives a year and I feel like each time is the first time... I often forget lessons learned between projects (doh!) and end up making the same mistakes... Yeah, I'm still a newbie...
That's how I've been for years, while I've recently immersed myself in this as one day I aspire to do it full time I still feel very "newbish". It seems each time I make one after it's all said and done I say to myself "well I'll try my best to remember not to make that mistake again". But I suppose that's part of the fun, coupled with trying new things around each corner (as I'm in a "new" period for something right now that I'm hoping works out). But like Ray said, that looks like more work than I would even want to do, great job, I love it!
Old 06-12-2013, 04:39 AM

Very nice Chris. Although I make quite a few more knives per year, I'm reaching the age where it seems to be a "new adventure" every time I crank up the dragon (which is almost daily). It keeps things exciting and challenging, but also means slower work while trying to relearn what was done last week.....again.
(What's really bad is setting one partially completed down for a few days and then trying to remember where you intended to go with the finish work).
While I kind of agree that it doesn't really belong in this section, it is very pleasing see and study. Thank you for sharing.

Note: You know that ol' boy Mikey took a pretty long time to paint that little old chapel in Italy, and he obviously wasn't a "newbie"......poorly paid but no novice.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 06-12-2013, 07:29 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I wouldn't want to say it doesn't belong in this forum. As far as I'm concerned, any maker can post anything he builds that is knife related here. It helps the newbies set their goals by showing them what is possible whether with the knives themselves or with the tools we use to make them. True, we may not all be Mikey Angelo but we can still take his work as inspiration for our own efforts ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-12-2013, 07:58 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynnKnives View Post
That's how I've been for years, while I've recently immersed myself in this as one day I aspire to do it full time I still feel very "newbish". It seems each time I make one after it's all said and done I say to myself "well I'll try my best to remember not to make that mistake again". But I suppose that's part of the fun, coupled with trying new things around each corner (as I'm in a "new" period for something right now that I'm hoping works out). But like Ray said, that looks like more work than I would even want to do, great job, I love it!
Wynn, I, too, hope to be doing this exclusively one day - when I'm retired, that is. Keeps me out of the missus' hair and out of trouble... I'm somewhat glad to hear that even seasomed veterans like Carl and Ray run into the "so, where was I?" problem... I find that from inception to completion sometimes a month or two will pass and before you know it, it will have been six weeks since I have fired up the forge. I'm always working on a knife at one stage or another of completion, but the process is so long, the stages are drawn out by weeks. I get blisters on my "hammer pad" every time I start forging anew because it heals and gets soft between forging bouts. I ought to forge something every day, just for the heck of it, I guess...

Cheers,
Chris

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
Old 06-13-2013, 05:12 AM

Of course you are right Ray, and that is some very fine inspiration. Wasn't trying to "boot" Chris, more of a backhanded compliment than anything else. I really enjoy studying his work when he posts.

Chris, I do forge almost everyday. It's the part of knifemaking I am most addicted to. I usually have upwards of 50+ blades hanging in the shop waiting for me to get off dead center on any given day. I just like working hot steel.
If I could find someone to fit guards the way I like them, I'd think seriously about farming that step out altogether.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 06-13-2013, 07:59 AM
Steel Addict

Truly great work Chris.

Tags
1095, 5160, back, bee, blade, chris, dagger, damascus, flat, forge, forged, forging, guard, hand, knife, knives, made, make, making, newbie, steel, stone, vise, welding