MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Damascus Forum

The Damascus Forum The art and study of Damascus steel making.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:37 AM

Difference between very expensive and expensive damascus steel?

Hi
I want to make a knife using a swedish damascus steel blade (yes, it has to be Swedish ).

I found this company who makes very expensive but nice blades for around 380$ http://5583.shop.textalk.se/en/artgr...583&grp=124570

Later I found two other serious looking manufacturers who make a lot cheaper blades, starting at 100$:
http://www.tst-knivar.com/apps/webst...tegory/1488168
http://www.ingemarnordell.se/knife-blades/

All three manufacturers seem very serious. So what do you think the difference between the blades is? I can't imagine that the 380$ ones are that much better than the others?
Old 04-26-2017, 04:25 PM
Guru

Not knowing what steels they use for their Damascus it's hard to say, but I wouldn't think there is a $280 difference. I am somewhat familiar with the Ingemar Nordell knives and they do make a quality knife so take that for what it is. But they seem to be out of stock on the Damascus knives. Don't forget the shipping charges from Sweden if you are in the USA.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
As someone who had been making Damascus for 30 years, and has fielded a ton of questions from people who purchased "cheap" damascus, I can tell you that you get what you pay for. I can't count the number of people who have sought my help when they ground into their "bargain" damascus and found a void, or tried to harden the material, only to discover that it could not be hardened/heat treated.

If there isn't some type of warranty/guarantee on the material itself, don't be surprised at whatever happens.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 04-28-2017, 08:59 PM
Guru

Ed I think these knives are kit knives.

They are already HT and finished and just need a handle. I am familiar with Alabama forge's Damascus which sells by the inch and is good quality, but it doesn't run $380 for a knife's worth, but it isn't HT or finished either. When I sell a Damascus blade hardly anyone actually uses it, it's more for show. I make my knives to be used though and not for sitting on a mantle, though I am sometimes guilty of making them "too pretty to use".

I just noticed the Nordell knives are made of Damasteel which is a stainless steel with a stainless outer layer if I'm not mistaken. I haven't used it, but have a friend who loves his small skinner from Premium Knives.

Last edited by jimmontg; 04-28-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:14 AM

I just noticed that txt.knives has two kathegories: They have "forged blades" and "polished blades" (I'm not sure what the exact english translation for the latter is). What do they mean by that? Are the forged ones not sharp? Or have I misunderstood something here?
Old 05-01-2017, 08:12 AM
Guru

Sorry Iceman, I am not sure of the translation.

I translated the page, but didn't see anything saying polished or forged. All damascus is forged and I supposed they polished some and left some in the "as forged" condition? Though that wouldn't make any sense unless they mean they ground them to size and then etched them without a finer polish which is what I do as the etching process is going to eat up a fine polish anyway. I just grind Damascus and end with a 400 grit finish to get the hammer marks out and etch.

I also went and studied how they make their Damascus Iceman and it answers why it costs so much more. It is forged stainless Damascus is why and as such does not rust. If you want real damascus the only seller is Knivar TST and they do not make the knives they sell other makers knives. I cannot speak to the quality of those knives other than to say the Swedes are not known for making poor knives. The other two links you put up make two different styles of stainless damascene knives. The Nordell knives are made of as I said before Damasteel from a company called S?derfors.

Looking at the pictures though, I see some knives have only the bevels sanded down, but left in a rough as forged condition, that must be what they meant and those knives are not Damascus I think.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:38 AM
Guru

Here is Soderfors website if you want to see how it's made, and it is made in Sweden. Jantz supply sells the damascus flat bar that is unheat treated.
http://damasteel.se/our-steel/process/

Tags
apps, bee, blade, blades, cheap, damascus, forge, forged, harden, heat, kit, knife, knives, made, make, making, material, ore, products, sharp, shop, steel, supply, usa